GAX70 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX70

This Ibanez has what it calls "Two Powersound Humbuckers!" I'd say they aren't that great, but they work. I play a wide range of music, from AC/DC to Alan Jackson to Disturbed. This guitar pretty much fills my need for rock, and when it doesnt't', I have a really cheap Squier Bullet Strat taht doesn't sound too bad that I use for other styles. But I also play through about the cheapest setup money can buy. I have a 15 Watt RMS Bass amp (I like it because it has 5-band EQ, as opposed to the 3-band you find on most practice amps) and a Danelectro Fab Metal Distortion pedal (cost's fifteen bucks new). I was playing along with the song Take My Hand by Simple Plan, and my guitar was identical in tone and gain with the song. It was cool!!!!

Overall, I love this guitar. Sturdy, decent sounding, and appealing to the eye (even if it is a little bland). Even so, I am going to sell it. I'm saving up for an Epiphone 1966 G-400 SG (Heritage Cherry). I prefer the Alnico humbuckers that the SG has to what my Ibanez has on it. Even after it's gone though, I'm gonna remember it for a long time as my first "Real" Electric Guitar.

Will this guitar stand up to Live playing? Definitly! This thing is a beast!! I've dropped it more times than I can count and not a thing has been broken or loosened or repaired or anything. I've played it Live a few times, and it's really durable. I even dropped it on Concrete once. Didn't break a thing. The finish has not one scratch. (no thanks to me). I love how long it's lasting. The only reason I would have a backup is if I had old strings that were ready to break.

As I said, I bought mine used, so I don't know how much work the people at the store had to put into it to make it ready to sell, but I haven't had to do anything to the action at all. I've messed with the pickups, but I don't even know where they originally were. That's just a matter of personal taste. They sounded fine before I fiddled with them. When I got it, only thing missing was the little plastic cover that screws on to the 3-way toggle Switch. (unimportant, and still missing). Finish looks good, but it's a bit plain for me. Still, I don't mind it. I'd prefer people in a crowd were looking at me more than my guitar.

I'm not exactly sure when my guitar was made, because I bought it used. I would say it's been around awhile though, because when I look at the current editions, there are a few differences (though the major things are the same) in the cosmetics of the guitar. Mine has some cheap Speed Knobs, but they work, so I'm not gonna complain. It has 22 Frets (I think Jumbo, but they might be smaller). It's a pretty bare-bones guitar. No tremolo, no expensive locking tuners, and no insane colors (Mine's white). It's cool though, cause a lot of people have confused it with a Gibson SG. It sort of looks like one, only with really wide hips.

monkeyman9213
    ive been playing guitar for only 1 and a half years. but im pretty musicaly talented though. and the thing i love about this guitar is its so easy to tune and never comes out of tune!!! but i have had this guitar for close to a year now. i payed $250 NZ on special. Usually $550 NZ. but the only problems i have had with it were easily fixed. like the volume and tone knobs come loose. (tighten them) The amp jack comes loose (tighten them) and the strap clip came out one day but nothing super glue cant fix. but yeah i love this guitar especially for the price i payed for it. GOOD OLD IBANEZ!!!!! XD
    bahamut712
    dudeman123
    bahamut712 wrote: can i set a scene for you people? i have a white Ibanez GAX70 electric guitar, and i have added a few small add-ons, like strap locks, new tone knobs, diff strap, tuning keys (some were bad), but i was wondering about 2 things; 1: can i remove any pickup, whether it be the bridge or the neck, and put in like a seymour duncan or a EMG? and 2: can i replace the tail piece and stop bar with a better brand? what do you guys think? i need comments back ASAP!
    absoutley!! I reccomend seymour duncans and to take it to a professional to install them. YOu could probably do it your self but if ur doing gigs then u want it done right