GAX70 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX70

Purchased from: E-Bay

The Powersound pickups on this guitar are very tricky and quite deceitful at first if you don't adjust them right. When I first got this guitar, it needed a lot of work which I'll go into later. Once I adjusted the pickups, I noticed that they're not that bad at all. I am using my Crate GTD120 with this guitar, and using the clean channel with the chorus effect on the clean channel produces a very bright, almost trebly sounding effect which is great for those Hair Metal power ballads. When I kicked in the Distortion channel, I found out that these pickups can produce some serious sustain and could most likely hold their own on stage. They're perfect for Nu-Metal, Classic Rock, or 80's Hair Metal which is what I prefer to play. All in all, not bad at all!

I play Classic Rock and 80's Hair Metal and this guitar seems to be a perfect fit for it. I've been playing for over 36 years and besides this, I also have a 2006 MIM Fender Sunburst Strat and a 2007 Crate GTD120 Combo amp. If this were stolen would I buy another one, I'm not sure, seeing that it's only a $200.00 guitar and that I only paid $90.00 for it on E-Bay. I only got it because I was skimming on there one night and I saw how low the price was and I thought that it would be a good backup only I wasn't aware how badly the condition of it was. If I had known, I probably wouldn't had bothered, because the seller had assured me through several emails that the guitar was in good shape. Well, now that I did do some work on it, it now is.

Now that I did the afore mentioned repairs up above, I do believe that this guitar will be with me a very long time. I do tend to baby all of my equipment, and seeing that I am not made of money, like to enjoy everything that I do have. I believe that I could use this at a gig without a backup. I don't forsee any problems at all with this guitar. She's a keeper.

Here is where I wasn't pleased at all and this was only due to the fact that I had won this on E-Bay, and that the previous owner had obviously had no respect for his equipment. When this came in, the neck had a serious bow in it, dirt and grime were prevalent all over the guitar inside and out, one of the tone knobs was completely disengaged from the body. It was just a f--king mess. I had to do a truss rod adjustment, intonate the guitar, clean the body and electronics inside and out, put on a new set of strings, clean and polish the frets, polish and buff the body, retighten the tuners and all the rest of the hardware on the guitar, put a shim under the neck. Once I did all of that, which by the way, cost me nothing only because I've been playing for over 36 years and am quite capable of doing my own repair work, I ended up with a guitar which looks like it just came out of the box, Brand New. Now, it's a keeper!

I'm just guessing but, I think that mine was probably made around 2002 or so. It's one of the Indonesian models and is a Transparent Red finish with 2 Powersound Humbuckers and a 3 way pup Switch along with 22 frets. I guessing that the wood is Agathis and the fretboard is definatelt Rosewood with a Maple neck. The Bridge is a Tune-O-Matic with a Stop tailpiece and the controls are 2 volume and tone knobs. It also came with a heavy duty Ibanez gig bag which was a extra plus.

Jeff Gu
    I bought one of these in transparent red, used, for $100 to use as a beater guitar I can haul around with me. I've since lined the pickup/control cavities with copper, rewired it and replaced electronics, shimmed neck and dressed frets, replaced the crappy tuners with Grover locking ones and replaced the pickups with an SH-8 Invader at the bridge and an SH-14 Custom 5 at the neck. That's a lot of work to put into a beater, but most of this stuff I had laying around and the guitar is a tone monster, now. It's actually a quite nice guitar and plays very well for a cheapie. Had to do a little work on the ABR-1 clone bridge with jewelers files to fix the saddle slots, as they were causing tuning issues and string creep.
    basskaibi
    man, this guitar's neck is heavy. I'd recommend it to any beginning guitarist who likes to play metal or pop/punk.