GAX70 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX70

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store

I play mostly metal, this guitar suits it well, but the pickups that came with it aren't the best around, but they are not noisy, I am using it with a Crate GTX65, with only distortion, it does sound good with it. I think this guitar is pretty versatile for a guitar of this price. I don't have much to say about it. The mahogany body gives it a "full" sound.

Overall, for a guitar I had for 250$ brand new, it is very good. It was my first guitar and I am still using it today, I also have a LTD F-250. It does well for playing rock and metal music, but maybe I would swap out the cheap pickups that came with it for something better, like Duncans or EMGs. What I love the most about this guitar is the feel. It feels perfect to me, and the body shape is very comfortable while playing sit. If it was lost, I don't think I would buy another one, even if it is great, I think I would invest in a higher end model. I would recommend it to any beginner seeking to buy a cheap electric guitar. I only wish it had better stock pickups.

I think this guitar would withstand gig playing, I would use it without backup, I've had this guitar for 4 years and the only problem I had with it was the output jack had a broken wire. It isn't a difficult repair at all, just re-soler the wire and that's it. I really trust this guitar in reliability, it is very well made for a 250$ guitar. The only complaint I have here is that the strap buttons are a little bit too small, causing the strap to fall off at certain angles, I swap them out for bigger and better ones.

When I bought it the action was a little high, but I simply adjusted it. The pickup height was perfectly adjusted, and the guitar itself, didn't have flaws. The finish and everything was in good condition mostly because I bought this instrument brand new.

Made in 2005, this guitar was made in Malaysia. It features 22 medium frets, a bolt-on 24.75" scale maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, black glossy finish, two passive humbuckers, a three-way selector, 4 knobs (2 for volume of each pickups, and 2 for tone) and a tune-o-matic bridge. All of these mounted on a double-cut styled mahogany body.