GAX70 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX70

Price paid: € 200

I am using it with Guitar Rig 2 and 3, so I can test the guitar in many sound styles. I personally prefer playing hard rock and metal, and when combined with the corresponding amps and effects, the guitar rocks. Its rhythms with the bridge HB are sharp and bright, and the solos are the same. With the neck pickup, it can provide a wonderful LesPaul-ish fat sound, and also great smooth sound for shredding. In clean and less distorted setups, it also outputs very good Strat sounds with the bridge, and lespaul sounds with the neck. Very good for blues. I although find some problems of eliminating the noise when playing at high gains and low action. With some noise gates or threshold it's ok, I lose gain however. Nothing too bad, just messing with the settings.

The guitar is pretty good for its money in most of musical styles. I play with it almost 3 years, and the only problems where the fret wear and the jack replacement. If it were stolen, I would surely buy another guitar with the double price or more. It's fretboard is very very nice to play, and it is a pretty guitar (better than it looks in the pics). I chose it over a GRG170DX, because I think you cannot get a good 3-pickup and tremolo guitar with this amount of money. In these prices I think simple=better.

I own this guitar more than 2.5 years, without playing it live. Only studio jams (and of course lots of house playing). I think it can withstand one gig, although the strings (actually the E) seem to break easily when bending heavily at high frets. The finish is very good, and after drops and several hits, it is as good as new. Its unput jack however, broke some months ago and needed replace. The thing that broke was that little piece of metal inside the jack that holds the cable jack, and resists from connecting the cable to the guitar (hope you understand) I never had problems with the strap buttons, although I recommend strap locks. I would never gig without a backup, of course. The bad thing about it is that the frets have become really bad. They are now flat rather than circular. I don't think that has affected the sound, but I guess it caused some fretting problems. It is fully playable though, just not as good as before 2.5 years.

The only problem that I can think of, is that the input jack was loose, so I had to tighten it up with my hand often. With some screwdriver work however, the problem never showed up again. The action also was a bit lower than normal, but of course it was no problem to raise it up.

This guitar was made in Indonesia and has: 22 medium frets, rosewood fingerboard, maple neck, SG-like body, tune-o-matic bridge, 2 passive humbuckers, 2 tone and 2 volume knobs, 3 way selector, chrome machine heads. The cutaway is not to deep, so you really have to struggle to get to the 22nd fret, mostly of the lowest strings.