GAX70 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX70

Price paid: € 80

Purchased from: Random dude

Considering the body's made of agathis, it is extremely durable and withstands A LOT (at least in my case) for a guitar in this price range. 22 medium frets and a fairly thin neck make this a very good beginner electric guitar. Also, TOM bridge makes it easy to string. No tremolo, but 2 volumes, 2 tones and a 3 way switch for this HH setup allow you to get some pretty good sounds out of it. I like the rosewood fretboards, generally. They feel much softer, almost spongy, making it feel very light under your fingertips.

I mostly play rock music, but this guitar can cover the whole range, from pop to metal. Used a Marshall DSL100H head with MX cabinet, Ibanez JD9 overdrive pedal, even a Marshall MS-2 microamp, this guitar delivered its best. The sound is great, but comparing it to better guitars, not as warm and full tone. I had to play with the tone controls and the switch to find what suits me, as you usually do, but it covers a really wide range of tone. This guitar performs great with heavy distortion and delivers fat notes. It sounds just as good when you just play clean, no noise or buzzing either way.

I got this guitar second-hand, but 10 years later, the finish only has a few scratches. Hardware needs to be cleaned regularly to avoid oxidation (learned the hard way). It was played only for a few months altogether when I got it, and everything was perfectly set, except for the input screw coming loose but you can tighten it yourself. There were absolutely no faults with this guitar, no flaws in finish whatsoever. After years of playing some things came loose (1 tuning peg, upper strap button) but those can be fixed at home with a few simple tweaks.

I absolutely trust this guitar. For me it handled everything: heat, cold, rain, bumpy car rides, everything. It's not easy to wear this guitar down. Finish is really good, only a couple of scratches, barely visible. I was told it would last me up to 2 years when I got it, but it just celebrated it's 10th birthday. Took it to the shop only twice: my 3-way switch broke and the neck was a bit warped. It's very reliable and durable, not something I expected from such a cheap guitar, honestly. But for beginners, I suggest you learn how to take care of a guitar and develop the habit of cleaning it after playing from the start, especially if you can't afford much. A wipe down with a soft cloth goes a long way.

This is a great guitar, especially for beginners! I still play mine, and I think it really fits my style and needs. It's a very versatile guitar. I am a fan of Ibanez, so I may be biased, but this is probably one of the best low price guitars ever made. It was my first electric guitar and I really liked how easy it was to string, it stays in tune for a long time, and it's very comfortable to play (relatively light, low action, rosewood fretboard). Only thing missing is a tremolo, if you want one. If this guitar was stolen form me or lost, I would go Liam Neeson on the person who took it.