GIO review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GIO

Purchased from: Shop in Talisay City, Cebu, Philippines

I was TOTALLY depressed when I saw the "made in China" label but I was surprised with the guitar after a month of playing it. The sound is incredible and suits the varying styles I play, it can do from "Santeria" by Sublime to "Supermassive Black Hole" by Muse. I use it with a Marshall MG10CD electric guitar amplifier, I love how many styles are possible on this guitar.

I play mostly rock and alternative and all I can say is it's perfect for me. I've been playing guitar for almost a year but I already consider myself an intermediate player. Embarrassingly, I used to own a wooden amplifier my guitar teacher made and a long yellow guitar chord that can really take the beating. Where I am, owning an Ibanez or anything with a really popular name makes you cool but having to play such a nice guitar with such ugly gear.

Before getting this guitar, I let my mom choose between a SEXY red Strat with a silver Floyd Rose bridge or this Ibanez. I didn't expect much from the Ibanez at the time so I was kinda hoping for the cheaper Strat, but because of how much my mom loved me (lol). She bought the more expensive Ibanez for PHP 15'000.00 or USD 325.97.

If it were ever stolen, I'd just ask for that red Strat. But I love this guitar, and probably would be so depressed I'd make some sort of memorial in the cemetery. I don't hate anything about it but I love how it can do any style of music other than classical (hate classical). My favorite feature of the guitar should be the Floyd Rose bridge. It's absolutely fine for me now :), in fact, I recommend it.

P.S Red Strats are sexy.

I'm VERY careful with my guitar, so it will definitely last when I play Live. I rely on the Floyd Rose to keep my guitar in tune but I'm not so sure if it will last. The strap buttons were a bit confusing to me at first since I didn't know what they were for but I haven't encountered any problems with them anymore. I depend on my guitar, but instinct always tells me to be prepared, so a backup would be LOVELY. The finish will definitely last, though I'm not so sure with what's on the headstock since it easily gets scratched.

The action ain't much of a problem really, and I can see the guitar was really taken care of. The pickups were perfectly adjusted, my guitar teacher instantly played it right after unpacking it! I don't see any problems with the top OR the bridge. So far the only flaws I have spotted is that on the locking nut, that thing in the middle won't come off since it's TOO tightly screwed on and since the guitar hasn't been in use for so long, the strings just rusted.

I don't know when but this guitar was made in China, but it's pretty much like a normal guitar, not what others would expect. It has a Maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard with Dot inlays, and 24 frets. It has a solid dark blue finish on a Super Strat body style. It has a black Floyd Rose bridge (oh yeah).

It's got passive pickups, two humbuckers, one close to the neck and the other one close to the bridge and a single coil pickup in the middle. It's got 1 volume and tone knob and a 5-way switch selector.

The pickups were made by Ibanez, just normal humbuckers and single coil actually. There's this really cool thingamajiggy that locks the nut and helps in keeping it in tune even after a monster decompression with the whammy. I got my guitar a Lazer electric guitar sling, an Ashton guitar case/bag, and a RIDICULOUSLY long chord (longest I've seen).

Clayton777
    Ibanez-FTW. Ibanez Gio-FAIL. I mean, if its your first guitar or your low on money, thats cool. But I'd never buy one. Save up and get a real Ibanez if you can, They're great.Not to offend Gio owners,