GIO review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 2.4 Junky
Ibanez: GIO

Purchased from: Raslo Middelburg

I play rock & roll, heavy rock and metal and it can't keep up with any of them. It tunes out so fast you can't get a chance to hear it properly. My friend has a tiny 19watt Ibanez amp with no effects which makes a #@%$ing annoying zing sounnd if you turn the volume up my more than 6mm from volume off. The sound sucks, I've even tried it through my Line6 Spider IV 15 and it still makes an unwanted treble sound.

I have been playing for about 4 years and am pretty good(not bragging). I own a Ibanez SA260 which I play through a Line6 Spider IV 15. I play ACDC, Flyleaf, Lost Prophets, Greenday, Linkin Park and Billy Talent. The Ibanez GIO can't handle any of them. It is a crappy, weakly made stage prop. Another friend of mine has the GIO original, the one without the pickguard, and that's a nice guitar. He play lead in our churchband and it sounds nice. What went wrong with this one?

I would never use it live. It doesn't stay in tune long enough to play a song and its ugly. The middle pickup has started to rust and the pickguard is peeling off on one side. Don't know about the strap buttons but if the guitar falls and breaks it won't be much of a loss. The finish is starting to go, I don't think it will last the year.

The fit is alright, but the open and 12th fret notes are about a note apart. I think its neck is bent 'cause the action past the 7th fret it higher than the rest. The pickups seem alright but the exposed magnets of the pickup has started to rust. The paintjob has alot of dents and scratches on it and I don't think it will last long at all.

Let me just say, I don't have a GIO, I'm reviewing my friends GIO. I've played on it alot and I am rating it on what I've seen, felt and heard. It was made in China in 2005, has 22 frets on a rosewood fingerboard, maple neck, don't know about the body, dark blue almost black paint with a white pickguard. Strat style body cut, but with pointier edges. Floating bridge, 3-way selector switch, 1 volume and 1 tone knob. It has a single-single-double pickup config and the Bridge is non-locking.

MaggaraMarine
    The guitar in the picture is GRX40, I think. The GIO without pickguard is some GRG series guitar, maybe GRG170. There's not an original GIO guitar. All the GIO series guitars have GIO logo on their headstock. There are GRGs, GRXs, GAXs... I think almost all the Ibanez guitar series have a GIO model. GIO is just the cheapest guitars in the series.
    legitjelly
    I have the original ibanez gio. I have never snapped the high E string, and i play songs required to bend it everytime i play. The guitar has great sound, a nice tremelo, that doesnt ever un-tune the guitar. Also, My guitar stays in tune all the time. only if it gets banged up does it un-tune. ive had this for about 3 years, and i have not had a problem. get ernie ball super slinky strings. it helps the guitar alot.
    maziuzzz1994
    My music school owns one. It is a guitar for beginners. Although it is a beginners guitar, it really sucks...