GIO review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GIO

Price paid: C$ 275

Purchased from: Kitts Music

This guitar suits my playing style alot, and is a very good choice if you want to experiment with your amp. I play lots of metal and rock, with bands like Three Days Grace, Avenged Sevenfold, Shinedown, Linkin Park, etc. I use a Fender Front 15r amp, and the sound is great. You can set it for a clean sound if you want to play jazz, classical, etc, or a very muffled, heavy sound for metal. The last three strings sound louder than they should during solos, however, and even though it sounds cool, it may interfere with your playing style sometimes. When you play chords, and set the volume high, you'll hear the strings individually, instead of as one. It can get pretty annoying sometimes and will make you sound sloppy, so I wouldn't recommend it for a live audience. Pinch harmonics are so fun to play, because it makes such a high pitched, metal sound. I could play them all night if I wanted to.

Overall, this guitar is great for anything. Its very versatile, and has good sound for metal and rock. Chords sound great, and solos are very loud and wild if you set it high enough. I don't play this anymore, after buying myself a Shecter Syn Gates Custom, but I've used it for 2 years and it was great. If this guitar was stolen, I personally wouldn't buy another, because its not the best choice for gigs because of some sounds it'll make, but I'd easily recommend it for a beginner. The only thing it didn't come with, was a whammy bar, which kind of sucked. But I sometimes use a cheap one I got at Kitts for messing around and experimenting. Now, I'll use this guitar to try something new if I'm afraid something bad will happen, and after it works, I'll try it on other guitars.

I'll start off with the body, because it's finish is one of my favourite parts of the guitar. It doesn't even feel like wood because its so smooth, and the whole guitar feels really comfortable, and you can depend on it not to break. The frets are a little rusty and chipped, especially at the bottom, below the 12th fret. But this is normal after you play alot. As for live playing, I used this guitar a year ago to play for my friend's birthday at his party, and it sounded decent (aside from that stupid treble noise) The sound wasn't too sloppy or muffled, and the chords are ok. However, I would not play a gig with it, because there are lots of guitars better than this. Its great for beginners, because it has lots of variety and possibilities, but I wouldn't use for anything more than a backup.

The guitar itself has a very nice setup, and is comfortable to play. The strings were raised on my guitar, so it sounds a little better. However, the nut doesn't lock, and unless you really stretch the strings, it'll go out of tune in a few hours. I usually hook my pinky on the pickups for tremolo picking and such, and the double pickups are good for this, and comfortable. However, if you put it too loud when using your amp, it'll make a really annoying treble sound that makes me want to rage sometimes. Another thing is that sometimes the knob on the pickup selector comes off, and it'll be a really annoying passtime when you try to put it back.

This guitar was my first a few years ago. It was a gift from my parents, and was a great guitar for a beginner. The neck is a maple rosewood with 22 frets, and the whole body was black, including the pickguard, with some sort of dark sparkles to make it shine. It was made in China, however, for a Chinese product, it is surprisingly well made. The pickup selector has three different options, and the Floyd Rose Bridge is great, besides the fact that its a pain to change the strings. It has 1 volume and tone knob, and the pickups were Custom made from the shop itself. For a birthday gift, it was great.

C.O.B.
    I've been using the Ibanez Gio for several months now and have found it to be quite reliable. I disagree with your reveiw though I did enjoy reading what you had to say.
    alixxqc
    im a begginer at playing guitar and i've been using this guitar for 2 days now and i've noticed that is a piece of shit i wasted my money on it, this guitar sounds like an acoustic one and its bad at it, i was looking for a guitar that sounded good, not this piece of crap, im very disapointed on it