GIO review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Ibanez: GIO

Purchased from: A friend

So I play just about everything from country to metal and I gotta say, this guitar is pretty versatile. Now, most people will say "eww I hate the GIO" but it actually isn't that bad. This thing can squeal with the best and has a pretty nice clean tone. It isn't equal to a Gibson or Prestige, but it's no piece of drift wood. I use a small Eleca amp and Danelectro Metal Distortion pedal and it gets a great hard rock/metal tone, but when I kick off the distortion it can go straight into a blues solo.

Overall this guitar is decent. I play hard rock more than anything and it suits it pretty well. I have been playing for 6 years and before I was robbed, I had an Ibanez SA120 and an Epiphone Les Paul and this keeps up pretty well. If it got stolen, I'd probably save and get an ESP but I'd still be p-ssed. I like the thin neck and tone, but I would love to have a double H setup and a better bridge.

Well, this guitar seems pretty solid. That being said, if I wasn't so paranoid, I could depend on it without a backup. The hardware seems pretty dependable as do the strap buttons. The finish is nice, but due to it being gloss black, it shows prints very easily. Other than that, it is nicely done.

Well I got this in a trade with a friend, I'm not exactly sure how old it is but he obviously had no idea what he was doing. The bridge was pulled out but I just salvaged a spring from another guitar and fixed that. The bridge is actually well routed compared to what I expected.

Ok, so my Ibanez was build in China. It has a maple neck, rosewood fret board with Shark tooth inlays. It has a HSH set up with one volume and one tone knob. It also has a 5 way selector and tremolo bridge.

MaggaraMarine
    dicknoran wrote: I think by reading all of the above comments, that there is more than a few variations of the gio, mine is an all black 24 fret without a pick guard. I have been playing for 5 years now, and the last 3 I have been playing my gio daily without any problems. I also have an rg350ex and an epiphone, and play them through my vox vt50 and my line 6 spider IV 75w. With my gio I keep it tuned to sharp c drop b for slipknot and other low heavy stuff, and unless i bang it or constantly bend on it for hours on end, it stays perfectly in tune. As for the sound, I prefer it over my other guitars for metal or hard rock. I think for the price and playability of it, you cant go wrong.
    Gio is a series by Ibanez. Or it isn't even a series. It's more like Gibson has Epiphone, Fender has Squier and Ibanez has Ibanez GIO. They are the cheapest Ibanezes. Then there's also the prestige line that are the best, made in Japan guitars. GIOs are made in China, regular Ibanezes in Indonesia I think and Prestiges in Japan.
    Dannio
    I have a gio, its a good guitar as long as you have a good enough amp, i play with a 30 watt amp and it sounds great.
    Insane_Hippy
    My cousin just got one of these.. and there's quite the amount of mixed reviews here o- o. I really can't wait for him to come over so I can check it out for myself.. just out of sheer curiosity at this point lol
    Insane_Hippy
    Right, forgot to come back here to report my findings. OK, so here's some pros and cons I've found for his guitar in particular; Pros: Slim neck and low action. Neck pickup is pretty nice (not great, but nice). Lightweight and fun to play. Cons: Bridge pickup is on the weak side. Feels kinda flimsy in general.. I don't know for sure about it's sturdiness but I don't trust it based on how it feels (I could be dead wrong though). Anyhow, those are just a few things that I've found through my (somewhat limited) personal experience with his guitar... I don't claim to be an expert (otherwise I would have just gone ahead and written a review myself) but that's my opinion on it. It's not a bad beginner's guitar at all, but it's not all that great either. Overall, I might rate it about 6? But I'd really need more experience with it and using it on various amps and stuff to give it a more accurate rating.
    OneTimeReview
    How is it possible that a company like Ibanez can make guitars as heavenly as unicorn jizz, but at the same time is capable of making such unbelievable garbage as the GIO series?
    Kabeerdime
    i have one and i am really disappointed. a slight use of whammy and it goes out of tune, pickups are crap i use noise gate in my processor or else there is a lot of noise and even more noise when tone is turned on.