GIO review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Ibanez: GIO

Purchased from: Gresham Guitar

It has 21 frets and has a thin neck. It is a blue gloss top and it is a Strat body. The controls on it are volume, tone and a 3 way pickup selector. The pickup configuration is HH. I am not sure of the year that the guitar is made in or what kind of wood it is made out of. But I do know that the wood that it is made out of is a very cheep wood. I am not sure of what the electronics or the bridge style is. The bridge is flat to the body and meant to just drop the sound. I also know that it doesn't have a locking nut but I wish it did.

The sound is pretty good on a decent amp but the amp that I currently have is cheep so it sounds cheep. I think the guitar suits my style for electric guitar but when you use the tremolo the nut makes noise also it goes out of tune quite often when using the tremolo. I think that the over all sound of the guitar is okay but for the over all guitar quality I think that it could use some work. I think if Ibanez used some better quality parts but had the same design that it would be a pretty nice guitar.

I think that the action is good for a beginner player is is very loose to me but I did start on a Ibanez AW10. I think that the pickups on it could be replaced for something a bit better. The nut on the guitar was very loose and when I changed the strings I had to glue it back to the neck otherwise it would make a bunch of noise when you bent a string. I think in the factory it was assembled quite quickly because it doesn't seem like it is going to last and also doesn't seem that the materials are very good.

I don't think that this would be a good choice for going and playing gigs. The strap but on the cutaway came out with a bunch of dust and I had to have it glued in to it wouldn't fall out. I would not depend on it and if I brought it to a gig it would probably be a backup or need a backup. The finish on the guitar is nice and is quite think. It has not worn off at all and doesn't show any ware finish wise. I have used it in live playing and I did like how the fret board is small so you can switch hand positions quickly.

I like the overall style of the guitar but I don't like how it is cheaply made. I would like to replace it some time with a similar guitar but of much higher quality. I have been playing for 1 1/2 years and I also have an Ibanez AW10. If it was stolen or lost I would probably buy something else. I love that it has a skinny neck, and a full body, but I hate that it's wood is cheep and that certain strings die quicker than others on it constantly. I did compare it to a few other products but I liked the look of that guitar more. I had compared it to a Squire Stratocaster. I wish it had a locking nut, a better bridge, and was made out of a nicer wood.

mwbright
    I have never in my life had a guitar that couldn't stay in tune for less than ten seconds, until now.
    pcheno
    This is the worst guitar I've ever owned. Wont stay in tune, setup is unfixable and it sounds like I'm playing a spade while sitting in a wheelbarrow. Im going to throw mine it into my attic for some poor descendent to find as a joke as I would feel bad about selling such a piece of crap to a beginner as they would inevitably hate playing guitar. A low end Pacifica is cheap and so much better.
    VonMetal
    I have this model myself the Ibanez Gio GRG20Z. mine is all black. I really like the way it sounds especially after putting Ernie Ball Strings on it. I can't wait to get my line 6 spider amp out of layaway lol It's only a 15W but that's all I need for now