GIO Mikro review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 4.4 Poor
Ibanez: GIO Mikro

Price paid: C$ 159.99

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I purchased this guitar as a starter for my 8 year old son. We tried to see if he could use a Jackson JS1 but it's too big and heavy so I reluctantly went for a 3/4 scale. Well... The sound is ok but I shouldn't compare it to my other guitars. After all, it's a cheap starter right? Realistically the sound is average to below average. Nothing great but does the job. Clean is below average and distorted brings it up a bit to average. Running it through a Line 6 IV Spider will suit his needs for now.

This will server the purpose that I intend it for and that's to see if either of my son's will take an interest in guitar (and leave my other's alone). Considering what I paid I expected more especially when the Squire Strat Mini is $60 less. It's better than a First Act or any other department store knockoff but honestly I wish I had saved the $$ and just went with the Squire. Both will accomplish what I intended but there's no discernible quality that sets the Ibanez apart except for the higher price tag. I didn't expect a lot but the quality and fit and finish were so bad that this gets a really low rating.

No live playing. Will not last for many years. It's a kid's guitar and used to create interest and determine if they'll continue with it when they're older. It accomplishes that but it's not a reliable guitar.

This is where it gets bad. The first one had crowned frets with very sharp edges, tuners that wouldn't even stay in tune for 10 seconds, and the low E string was a full step above the D string when fretted anywhere on the neck. Intonation wouldn't even get it close. Had to contact Ibanez so I could bring it back to the store where I bought it. The replacement was much better but still not anywhere close to the claims on their website regarding the quality. After I adjusted the relief and set the action/intonation it was liveable. Poor QA on Ibanez's part.

22" neck with medium frets, maple, black dot inlays. Strat style with fixed bridge, Basswood body. Humbucking pickups with 3 position toggle with volume and tone controls. More than likely built offshore.