GRG150 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG150

Purchased from: A.salonga music

It suits my musical style greatly! You can get just about any kind of sound you want out of it, I play most kinds of rock music and it suits them all fine, from Green Day to Bullet, its suited them all fine. At the moment I'm running my guitars through a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt practice amp and it sounds sick! It has a rather bright kinda sound to it which is something I don't really like, but with a bit of tweaking you can easily adjust it to sound how you want. All in all its pretty sick!

This guitar was the best I could get at the time and I'm happy I did, it suits whatever I want to play whenever I want to and its always been dependable, I've been playing around 5 years now and I also have a B.C. Rich Platinum Warlock that is admittedly a lot better than this, its suited for anyone really, because it'll sound good to a beginner/ intermediate guitarist and an experienced player could easily make it sound good, and also for the price, this guitar is awesome. If it were stolen I'd be pissed for a while, but I wouldn't go out and buy another (due mostly to the fact that I live back in the UK now and they're not available here) but oh well. When I bought it, I compared it against a variety of other Ibanez models that were in my price range, and this one came out on top. A great buy!

I'm not too sure here, I'd had it and played it for about 2 years before going live with it, but during the 2 years my idiot sister had knocked it off its stand onto a tiled floor at least twice, so it had two small cracks around where the neck is joined to the body. But I've played live with it 3 times without a backup so I can safely say that it can definitely withstand live playing. The strap buttons are big and solid, and the finish will last forever. Perfect!

When I'd bought it, the action was so so, it was playable. But at the time I was more into thrash metal, so I lowered it as low as it would go without much fret buzz, which was surprisingly very low, the pickups were also set up to an average standard, but I raised them a bit to get a little more volume out of them, other than that it pretty perfectly set up.

I bought this guitar about 3-4 years ago in the Philippines for my birthday, it was made in china, and it was my first good guitar. Its a super-strat style guitar with 24 medium frets, on a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard (dotted inlays). Basswood body, and a passive humbucker/pickup/humbucker set-up with one volume dial, one tone dial and a 5-way selector. It has a Standard Ibanez floating trmolo bridge (Fat 10 apparently). The stock pickups are Standard Ibanez pickups. A very good set-up for the price.

ZA58
    I noticed when it comes to a cheap guitar everyones a expert
    Guitar Sushi
    $lightly$ober wrote: my first good guitar was a $4000 les paul
    theflyingbarney
    Some people really need to be able to place reviews into context. Yeah if you're Matt Bellamy or Herman Li, for example, this guitar would look and sound pretty crap to you, and yeah you'd feel justified giving it one out of ten in every category. But if you've just started playing and you wanted to give a decent indication to other beginners out there as to whether BY THEIR STANDARDS this is a decent guitar to have, then by all means give it 9s and 10s etc. I can't understand the people here who are mouthing off at this review or stupidly comparing it to guitars like Les Pauls etc, because it's never going to compare and that's not the point of the review...
    momo9
    Why does everyone just end up getting pissed of when someone writes something. We're no all made of money.
    necromancergt
    i had a GRG 150... 170$ customised it... 200$ for a EMG 81,85 combo... Floyd Rose licensed trem 80$... that's 450$... really happy with it... plays better than the Kerry King Wartribe(the 500$ model without EMGs and with a Kahler trem)
    kodadak
    bambusa
    I don't read the reviews. I read the comments. It is quite amusing the amount of wankers who think they are guitar gods. Surely you could all piss off to teenage emo chat rooms and let people review guitars without getting smashed by your insecurities? To Vampire Price it's his first good guitar...why get upset about it?
    necromancergt
    Veet-88 wrote: Bang for the buck people...Of course this is not going to have the tone or over all quality of some odd $1000+ guitar. But at it's price point (250$) The Ibanez Gio are a very solid starter guitar I have now had mine GIO series guitar for 2 years and I have no complaints about it. So this guitar is well deserving of it's 10/10 when you compare it to other guitars within its price range...
    absolutely...look at gadgets for example. a Dell Studio 15 gets a 9.5 rating.and a Alienware 17x gets 9.2... one has to consider the price and what he gets...
    Veet-88
    ThrashNBurn89
    I don't see why everyone has to be an ***** about this. I personally like Ibanez. I personally would buy a $200-$600 Ibanez long before I would ever drop $4000 on a Gibson Les Paul for a first guitar. Hell if I'm gonna spend THAT much money on a guitar, I'd buy a decent car first or a decent guitar with a half stack or full stack amp to go with it.
    rv_phoenix
    This review - and the subsequent controversial comments - shows how advertising can turn crap into value. The GIO series from Ibanez is a maravellous (although not unique) example of SELLING BADGES instead of real instruments. First of all, it's the wood. Basswood is generally too tender to be used in a guitar body, and its acoustic properties are quite low. It was only chosen by Ibanez because it's cheap. The combination maple neck-basswood body is one of the worst in terms of sound compatibility: maple is tough and has a sharp resonance (which makes it perfect for an alder or a mahogany body), basswood is tender and has a slow, mellow resonance. Combined, the two of them simply kill your sustain. It's a matter of physics and physical limitations. Electronics can't help. Then comes the pickups issue. H-S-H, with or without coil split, is a powerful combination, requesting an internal shielding... not to be found on a GIO, due to cutting-costs policies. The result is a banging dirty sound, no matter what you play, no matter which pickup position you use. Once again, I very much doubt Ibanez has struggled to find a solution for a guitar that cheap (the solution being the absent internal shielding itself). Then comes the tremolo. Ibanez used a licensed Floyd Rose only at the beggining of the nineties, untile they managed to emulate it. Then, they developed their own variants, the Lo-Pro and various Edge designs, which are actually better than the real FR. But the GIO series don't have access to that expensive stuff. Only the nonsense GRG 250DX, which costs as much as an Epi Les Paul - has received the Edge III bridge (the last-but-one generation). The GRG 150 has, as stated by Vampire_Prince, an in-house Fat bridge, which is Ibanez's bad copy of the less expensive Wilkinson fulcrum tremolos. All in all, all GIO guitars are Ibanez's attempt (successful, as it seems), to sell bad entry levels, at higher prices than Squier, Epiphone, Aria or Yamaha. A guitar whose sound is crap is a guitar you can't gig on (records are out of the question). Why should we buy it, then? Only to be proud that we use the same make as Joe Satriani? It's like someone who owns a Smart Fortwo meets a guy with a McLaren SLR and tells him: look, my friend, we both have Mercedes cars...
    bjesovi
    "and one more thing"...I hate smartasses like you! You are totally not cool i veliki ste jebeni smorovi sto napadate neke tako momke sto postave nesto na internetu. Mozes ti sa tvojim komentarima da ides tamo gde sunce ne sija!
    slashe50
    Most anything with "G" as the first letter of the model name generally isn't very good.
    bjesovi
    Jesus Christ! bastardsodecent what the F are you acting? Who the F do you think you are? That guy posted something, so fcking what? You think you're so smart, goddam peasant!
    PlayFreebirdNow
    celticstorm84 wrote: Lol, I love how people here get worked up over reviews like it matters.
    This.
    Pick 'n' Finger
    I think, to hear a difference from a gibson les paul and a good schecter you really need to smoke some shit...
    Vampire_Prince
    i dunno what the hells going on but heres some info, after having this guitar beaten up for years i let my friends guitar teacher have a go [while the pickups had started rusting and it had cracks in the body], and he said it far outstripped my friends RG350DX which was only about a month old. so F you bastardsodecent, either im magical at setting up guitars or my friends RG350DX sucked worse than this! by the way, my first guitar was a strat copy so yeah...
    chaincells
    Good for a beginner guitar, but it's not ''good/awsome'' etc. Or all the 2000+ guitars wouldn't even excist.
    ju5t2good2btru
    to Guitar Sushi... what if they just wanted the gibson lp look? the solo is similar but not the same and maybe they wanted the exact gibson tone. i partly agree, however. i own a epi lp custom in alpine white and it looks beautiful, has the same sound and almost identical playability. so yer, i don't really recommend a gibson, i think epi's are the way to go. just as good and half the price
    bastardsodecent
    And one more thing...suits your musical style? Unless you play some kind of weird experimental music, I very much doubt it will. Or maybe instead of a prepared piano, you wanted a prepared guitar, but cba to prepare it properly, and decided instead to just buy this monstrosity which you call a "good guitar".
    The^Unforgiven
    A guitar doesn't really have to be expensive to kick ass, and to be a quality instrument, but still, I can't really vouch for the Ibanez Gio series...
    TheAbsentOne
    This is a great FIRST guitar, it's for sure not a GOOD guitar, by any means.. But in OP's personal opinion it's his first good guitar. Give him a break. So what, if someone can't afford a 4,000 dollar Gibson, they automatically suck?
    Pantallicdeth
    My first guitar was a $150 squire strat. of the three gibsons that Ive played, the squire played better than two of them and sounded better than one. gibsons are overrated and beginner models are just as underrated.
    Jaxter1
    I have to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Ibanez. I prefer Washburn over it any day but before you folks attack me that is my personal opinion. As for my first guitar it was a $100 used Peavey Odyssey.
    thewickerman512
    farenms
    I have one of this. It's a good 'noob' guitar, but it's not great. If you're not very particular about tone, the guitar is playable. I dislike the build quality. The screws got rusty after a few months. Electronics not shielded properly. My RGR321EX was way better than this.
    bastardsodecent
    This was a shit review, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Your first GOOD guitar?!?!?!?! If this is a GOOD guitar, then what's a shit guitar in your mind???? FFS man...that's bad shit, it doesn't deserve half the rating you've given it.
    Olliecs
    I agree with portalsedge, go for it man, you can't really go wrong. It's how i started and i now run my own guitar company. You learn so much while making them and after a few tries and a bit of research you can make the most amazing sounding things for not even a tenth of the price of some overpriced Gibson.
    Jaxter1
    Personally I love Epiphones. If I could get a Gibson I probably would but an Epi does just fine for me.
    ThrashNBurn89
    Vampire, did u keep the original pickups in it or did u swap them out? Because if you're considering swapping them, put some EMG's in it. You won't regret it
    EpiExplorer
    thewickerman512 wrote: kodadak wrote: ^ please tell me you were playing an epiphone or squier for a few years before getting the $4000 gibson, my first good guitar was my Adamas my granddad gave me What's wrong with an Epi? Honestly, I own a couple of them now. Sure, the first electric I bought(LP 100) isn't anything special, but it's held up to a ton of live plaing, idiots dropping it, ect and it still sounds great. I also have a Les Paul Standard which sounds just as good as my buddy's Gibson Les Paul Standard
    Yeah, whats wrong with a me?
    kodadak
    nothing's wrong with epiphones, I actually prefer them over Gibson, I'm just saying they're cheaper and more logical choice for a first guitar, I was just hoping the dude buy a 4000 guitar after a year of playing or something like that
    portalsedge
    my first guitar cost me 100 US dollars NEW!! lol it was crap, so now I'm making my own guitar, good woods are not so expensive, shaping the body and construction is not that hard,and im using some neck i already had, the only real expenses are the pickups and painting, not even pots and switches are expensive or hard to get, so **** that 4000$ gibson, it's clearly overrated
    TheAbsentOne
    I agree with most of the people here, I would absolutely prefer an Epiphone that costs 1/8 of a Gibson and still have superb quality. I'd drop a grand on a Schecter or an Ibanez before I dropped any on a Gibson. In my personal opinion I really don't care for paying big bucks for a name on a headstock..
    schec7x
    Alot of you people on here are pretty pathetic. who cares if this guy thinks its his first good guitar. in my eyes a good guitar is one that works. A great guitar is one that goes above and beyond. I played a squier for 3 years and then i bought a schecter. Was my squier a great guitar? No but it suit my purpose.
    EpiExplorer
    BeatenDog wrote: 170 bucks.This was your first good guitar?
    Pounds, not dollars. thats about $245 US
    benansell
    Guitar Sushi wrote: $lightly$ober wrote: my first good guitar was a $4000 les paul I don't get it when people buy 4000 dollar Gibson when you could get a nice Schecter Artist II or Solo 6 (these guitars have the same of type of tone as Les Pauls and have coil-splitting). You could also get a nice Tube half Stack, A nice bunch of stompboxes or a multi-effects. BUT INSTEAD. You just get a Les Paul. People like you that fall under shitty advertising's sway are the only reason Gibson can still make money.
    I agree. Gibson Guitars are no better than Epiphone Guitars, of the same model/style of course. The only reason people still buy Gibson is for the prestigious name, which fair enough, owning a Gibson, is seen as better than owning an Epiphone, but come on. Anyway, my first guitar was an Ibanez that my cousin gave to me considering he has like twenty guitars now. It was good enough, but my best guitar, and my current one is a 450 Epiphone Explorer, yeah its not great, and yeah it isnt the best guitar out there, but its fun to play and it looks awesome.
    Im_Broken
    KJKINFLAMES. obviously, this $240 guitar can have ratings like this. do you think you're like., king of reviews or something? the review-miester? people want their reviews typed, they go to you? think you've got it goin Barcenova? no way.
    Vampire_Prince
    nope, ive still got the stock pickups, and havent got enough money to get new ones, i was gonna get a di marzio super distortion in the bridge, but my mom decided to be a bitch...
    BobJustin
    Whoa!! So these are the things what will happen in GRG150?! I think I will think twice before buying this one as my first gig!!
    octopec
    A great example of why UG reviews should very, very rarely be taken seriously.