GRG150 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/26/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Ibanez: GRG150
It was made in China, and it was my first good guitar. Its a super-strat style guitar with 24 medium frets, on a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard (dotted inlays).
 Reliability & Durability: 6.5
 6.9
 21,636
reviews (2) pictures (3) 56 comments vote for this gear:
GRG150 Reviewed by: Vampire_Prince, on march 26, 2010

Purchased from: A.salonga music

Features: I bought this guitar about 3-4 years ago in the Philippines for my birthday, it was made in china, and it was my first good guitar. Its a super-strat style guitar with 24 medium frets, on a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard (dotted inlays). Basswood body, and a passive humbucker/pickup/humbucker set-up with one volume dial, one tone dial and a 5-way selector. It has a Standard Ibanez floating trmolo bridge (Fat 10 apparently). The stock pickups are Standard Ibanez pickups. A very good set-up for the price. // 8

Sound: It suits my musical style greatly! You can get just about any kind of sound you want out of it, I play most kinds of rock music and it suits them all fine, from Green Day to Bullet, its suited them all fine. At the moment I'm running my guitars through a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt practice amp and it sounds sick! It has a rather bright kinda sound to it which is something I don't really like, but with a bit of tweaking you can easily adjust it to sound how you want. All in all its pretty sick! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I'd bought it, the action was so so, it was playable. But at the time I was more into thrash metal, so I lowered it as low as it would go without much fret buzz, which was surprisingly very low, the pickups were also set up to an average standard, but I raised them a bit to get a little more volume out of them, other than that it pretty perfectly set up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm not too sure here, I'd had it and played it for about 2 years before going live with it, but during the 2 years my idiot sister had knocked it off its stand onto a tiled floor at least twice, so it had two small cracks around where the neck is joined to the body. But I've played live with it 3 times without a backup so I can safely say that it can definitely withstand live playing. The strap buttons are big and solid, and the finish will last forever. Perfect! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar was the best I could get at the time and I'm happy I did, it suits whatever I want to play whenever I want to and its always been dependable, I've been playing around 5 years now and I also have a B.C. Rich Platinum Warlock that is admittedly a lot better than this, its suited for anyone really, because it'll sound good to a beginner/ intermediate guitarist and an experienced player could easily make it sound good, and also for the price, this guitar is awesome. If it were stolen I'd be pissed for a while, but I wouldn't go out and buy another (due mostly to the fact that I live back in the UK now and they're not available here) but oh well. When I bought it, I compared it against a variety of other Ibanez models that were in my price range, and this one came out on top. A great buy! // 9

GRG150 Reviewed by: migspanelo, on april 26, 2012

Purchased from: audio phile, philipines

Features: I think it was made in china? Never was disclosed to me, it has 24 frets no scallops, Body is just the standard size, it has a way selector which easily being damaged it has static now. // 4

Sound: It's just fine I used it before for thrash metal, now for variety, I use a Marshall MG 10 at home while on practice at the gigs any blasted amps and no choices at all! It has good + 10 pickups. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Great guitar - only thing with this guitar is first the springs on the floyd does not hold the tension that strong I have to add another spring (well good thing it has options for additional springs not like the RG series only be for 3 springs that's it! W/c makes it harder for my tension can't create trill on the whammy bar and the whammy bar is loose it makes this awful sound when you make trills! // 5

Reliability & Durability: Yeah, it's for live playing, just done use the trills technique and volume technique. // 3

Overall Impression: I play genre like Steve Vai, playing oldies favorites hits like 70s to 80s rock with a touch of Steve Vai's style. I've been using the guitar for about 2 years nos almost 3 favorite feature is the pickups. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AR220 8.8 Electric Guitars 02/08/2016