GRG170DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG170DX

Purchased from: Robertville Music Shop

It suits up to my style of music perfectly. I play all kind of rock like: death metal, heavy metal of metal or simply hard rock. The guitar sounds perfect to these styles. The bridge pickup is really good for distortion and sounds fat. The neck pickup sounds perfect for solo work beyond 12th fret. The guitar sounds really nice clean. I use a Ibanez IBZ10G guitar amplifier which has really good distortion and works very well with my guitar. When I crank up the distortion it's pretty noisy and sounds bright and rich fat sound. Overall I love the sound.

I play all kinds of metal and heavy rock and the guitar works well with all those styles. The guitar distorted sound is perfect for music like: Metallica, Children Of Bodom, Avenged Sevenfold etc. On the clean channel, it works perfectly for classical or western etc. I've been playing since Christmas 2005 and we are in June 2006. So it is about 6 months. I also own a Mansfield acoustic guitar which plays really great. I also own a Qwik Tune Automatic Guitar Tuner. If for whatever reason, I get to don't have my guitar no more I would buy a same one because I got use to playing with it and with it, I am playing exceptionnaly good and I don't want to lose that playing. And I am saving some money for a good quality metal distortion pedal so I don't want to waste my money on really expensive guitars. My likes and dislikes on my guitar: Likes; Sharktooth fingerboard inlays, pickups, easy action, wood resonance, tone. Dislikes; FAT 10 Bridge. I can not change guitar settings except going in dropped D due to the tremolo bridge. I chose this guitar because it plays great and looks great and has a reasonable price. And for the price, you get a lot of good quality. The only thing I wished it had is a floyd rose locking tremolo system. Overall, I like very much my guitar and for now, it is the best I've played. It's a must have.

This guitar works very well in live conditions. I only experienced that in one little show but I think that it would work really nice. All of the hardware look like it will last. The strap buttons are exceptional. They are bigger than on other guitars. That holds the strap better. Reducing the chance of guitar falling which can damage lot of things. I depend on it 100%. Nothing could harm my playing in a gig. I mean it's so easy to play! And like I said it many times, the finish is too much subject to put your fingerprints on! I have to wipe it really often. But when it is wiped, the finish is as much beautiful as it was coming out of the factory.

The action was one of the best I have experienced from the first day I got it and it's still the same(I have it since 1 month). It plays easily and dosen't require a lot of effort. The pickups were adjusted correctly I think since I don't know much in pickups. All is perfect. The frets are perfect, the routing is perfect, the bridge is perfect. The finish is a beautiful gloss black. It was really nice out of the factory since right now, it has many fingerprints on it. It's so easy to put your fingerprints on that finish.

The guitar was made in 2006 and it was made Japan I am pretty sure. It has 24 Medium size frets with a rosewood fingerboard and a maple thin neck. The body is made of basswood. It has a gloss black finish which is really beautiful but easy to stamp your fingerprints on it so it's pretty annoying. The body is an RG style body. The bridge is a FAT10 non-locking floating tremolo. There is one volume control and one tone control with a 5-way pickup selector switch. Fingerboard inlays are Ibanez classic sharktooth which I like very much. Pickup configuration is H/S/H. The features are perfect for me except I would love to have a locking floyd rose tremolo instead of a FAT10.

Phil_Bass_Boy
    Omg. All of you are like "Ugh tuning is a pain in the ass..." Dumb. My friend has the strat-like guitar from the Jumpstart package. Ive been playing 2 years, play SoaD and stuff like that and hiss guitar does REALLY well. I don't know what youre whining about. Just tighten the springs in the back and insert the third string you get. Perfect, NO tuning problems.
    TaV0
    I have just bought this guitar and it's Ok. I mean, it's not like a nice Fender, or a Gretsch guitar, but still it's awesome if you payed less tha 300 bucks for it. I actually play with mine on some gigs and I'm not dissapointed. Anyhow, I rather play with my Fender Jaguar HH. \m/
    Logan_B
    I own this guitar. kicks total ass man....perfect for rock to metal kinda sound like Linkin Park, to Avenged Sevenfold. only thing is no locking tremolo which can detune your guitar. A MUST BUY PPL
    Erlend Johan
    nikhil101
    Erlend Johan wrote: Take a look at the backside on the guitar(if it is no laquering on it) You will see that the head and the neck is in two different parts...that is not good, it gets unstabile! buy an esp.
    err my grg170dx does not have that on it.....
    nikhil101
    Logan_B wrote: by they way.... i looked on this product search site for Ibanez and this guitar started in 2004 and production ends 2011, mine's an '06
    yeah mans fairly new too i got it in december 2006 and it was made in September 2006
    nikhil101
    hey what is it with people having problems with the guitar getting out of tune? Mine never goes out of tune, but then i guess i dont use the tremolo much. This guitar is good for shredding
    Logan_B
    if you're looking for this guitar you better hurry its 225$ retail but tis been dropped to 175 at Long & Mcquade
    chedavey
    this guitar is awesome i bought 1 about i month ago and its awesome as =]
    TheFuegoMiester
    300 bucks is a bad price, i got it for 210 i think (it was a sale tho), but i would strongly reccomend this as a first guitar for anyone who's starting out.
    daryle_goh
    isit possible for me to just change the whole bridge to something that can help it stay in tune?
    GRG-HLB-170
    ok i replaced the bridge pickups wif SH-8 invaders and this thing sounds amazing through a marshall 100watt. if you wana play gigs please change the pickups because the tone knob doesnt do much with a big amp on the stock pickups :|
    OttovanZanten
    same pickups as the GRG270 GRG370 and the RG321, and i love the sound i get out of it (in combination with my old-school (hard)rock/metal amp so don't think it sounds worse then the GRG270 or somthin
    Vantage
    so....the problem is the bridge? not the tuners?? i'd like to know...because i have one and tuning is a real pain in the ass....and if you bend you go out of tune too
    GRG-HLB-170
    the only real problem is the floating bridge. i think it needs a double locking to make it really shine but other than that its pretty decent for the price