GRG170DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG170DX

Purchased from: Local music store

This guitar is perfect for my style of play which is metal. I am using a Vox DA15 amp, and occasionally a Boss DS1 distortion pedal. I use the bridge pickup almost exclusivly and I love the bite and edge that it gives to my sound. This guitar has a variety of sounds ranging from crushing drop-D chords to face melting screaming solos to lush clean sounds.

I've been playing for a few years and my only other guitar was a Squier "Strat" so this guitar is a major jump up. I love the bite I get out of the bridge pickup on this guitar, the only thing besides the trem, that I don't like is the single coil pickup in the middle. My next guitar will be a 2 humbucker with a fixed bridge. The only thing I wish this guitar had was active pickups which I can arrange.

I haven't played Live with this guitar yet but I would without a second thought about it failing in some way. It's just a tank. And the finish seems like it will last forever, besides the one scratch by the neck, which I don't know how that happened. The strap buttons also are something else. Almost twice the size of the strap buttons on my old guitar, if I take my guitar strap off it's actually hard to put it back on because of the size of the friggin strap buttons! Which is a very good thing.

Right from when I got this guitar home the action was lower than Paris Hilton's IQ. With no fret buzz also! The pickups were fine and the bridge came floating but I play with it flush against the body so that was the only thing I changed. The guitar had absolutly no flaws from day 1. The controls were all snug and the pickup selector was quieter than my last guitar by far.

My Ibanez was built in China in 2006 if I remember correctly and it has a sparkling blur paintjob which seems to attract fingerprints. The neck is rosewood, with "shark tooth" inlays. It's an RG style body with a trem system, which in my opinion is the only downside of the guitar. It has 2 humbuckers in the neck and bridge with 1 single coil in between, all passive. The strap locks are huge which make it almost impossible for it to fall off the strap. It has one 5 way pickup selector with 1 volume and 1 tone knob.

-beyond-human-
    oi dat makes no difference....
    Erlend Johan wrote: Take a look at the backside on the guitar(if it is no laquering on it) You will see that the head and the neck is in two different parts...that is not good, it gets unstabile! buy an esp.
    oi dat makes no difference... its awsome... i paid 700 NZD 4 mine n i fukin love it so stop talking owt yo ass
    wyldelife
    have this guitar, it's alright, get some heavy strings on there, and a decent amp, and you've got a good guitar you can use for a long time!
    Aminos
    i have it and i can tell you that this bridge is really bad.. it blocked often when i was playing with the trem.. now i got the jackson randy rhoads RR3 and its kicks that crappy ibanez ass =)
    sic_riffs
    This guitar is absolute SHITE!!! pay a decent amount of money and get a good Jackson,ESP or BC Rich