GRG170DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG170DX

Purchased from: Ebay

Now, most people Who use Ibanez from round here use it for heaavy rock. Personally, I play anything from Slayer to some jazz. Running it through a Line 6 Spider III 30, I can get a range of tones. It can be a beast, or it can be soft and caring. With a nice fat sound in the neck, great for some heavy rhythm playing, and the bright highs of the bridge great for ripping out a shreadin' solo! I rewound the middle pickup for a slight more warmth, but apart from that, stock is good!

For me, this guitar is all good! 3 years of playing electric has really been worth while with this baby. I have to say if this were stolen or broke agaiin, I'd by an RG model for the Floyd Rose, but I have to say that this is another fab one from Ibanez. The only thing I hate, and I mean HATE is the headstock, never been a fan.

I've done a few gigs in my time. many things have happened to me, my strings have broken, my leads have snapped, picks shattered, amps blown. But this baby has kept going! I mean heck, I have thrown my guitar in anger because my amp broke down, and I picked up my guitar, retuned it and kept on playing!

The previous owner of this was a bit of a nutter; he had messed with the action so much I had to get a pro to set it up and sort out the action. The pickups were faulty due to wiring and were so low there was hardly any sound comin out, but solved that quickly. the only flaw in the guitar that was noted was the tip of the truss rod had cracked, but replaced it and was sorted in no time. I tried my friends straight out of factory and I fell in love with it all over again.

Indonesian made, maple neck with rosewood fretboard, 24 mediums, FAT10 Bridge, H/S/H pickups, 5-way, 1 volume and 1 tone for simplicity. Not bad for 150 quid may I say. If it came with a good old Floyd Rose I'd be on the moon. The strap was pap but I throw my weight around so it doesn't matter.

mMILKMANm
    Make that $150 on eBay with $50 shipping... Very, very, very slightly used... A Steal!