GRG170DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG170DX

This guitar from Ibanez is the only guitar that can satisfy my techno-death metal playing style. I am currently using the Peavy 15-watt 8" vypyr series amp, it comes with 24 different amp models and 11 program effects(which by the way are stronger than their pedal counter-parts). The volume knob on this guitar is on the lower side of the sensitivty level of volume knobs. You really have to turn this knob to see a difference in the volume. This guitar can also range from a deep rich acoustic, to a screeching and I mean screeching death metal. All 5 pick-up configurations change the sound output of the guitar, use the neck pick-up for a deep low sound. Use the middle pick-up for solos/major picking songs. Use the bridge pick-up for the effects on the solos.

I play, as I stated above, techno-death metal and I believe that this guitar is an amazing match for me. I'll just have to pick up a synth pedal at my music store. I have been screwing around with a guitar in general for about 6 years, put only started to seriously play a few months ago. I also own a Peavey Milestone 2 Series 4-string bass, a Peavey 115-watt 12" speaker bass amp, a 8" 12-watt Peavey vypyer series guitar amp, a 1964 Fender-Harmony acoustic guitar. I cannot think of anything that I should have asked that I didn't ask before I bought this guitar. If I did have this guitar stolen then I would either 1: buy it again 2: get the next guitar up the RG series really depend on the amount of money I have on hand. I really love everything about this guitar, the only potential thing I can find that is not so good about this guitar is that volume knob I was talking about earliar. I actualy compared this guitar to a 1400 dollar Gibson Les Paul, and a 1200 dollar Stratocaster, and this guitar dominated both of them. I do wish it had a 7th string, and the Edge-Pro Tremlo and some string locks. But hey you can't have everything that Ibanez offers in a 250 dollar guitar.

This guitar is definalty able to withstand Live playing, and is so amazing that you could also use it for recording. The hardware really seems like it will last a very long time, but I am a very parinoid person so I changed the strap clips out for some strap-locks. Yes, I would use it at a gig without a back-up, the only thing I could think of going wrong with the guitar would be the strings going out of tune. This finish is amazing the high-gloss is basicly a mirror, just try to keep a micro-fiber cloth on hand to keep off the fingerprints and smudges. So long as you keep the finish clean with that micro-fiber cloth it will last for a very long time.

The guitar was set up fairly well, but since it had been in store for a few months it's strings were old, it was out of tune, and dusty. So I cannot tell you anything about it's out-of-factory condition. The pick-ups on this guitar were set up very nicely, except the middle pick-up is a bit high up for my playing style and picking style. There were no issues with the guitar when I bought it.

Made in: 2006, Japan. Frets: 24, medium. Laminated top. Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood. Neck: Maple. Body: Basswood. Bridge Style: Dual-way tremlo. Control Knobs: 1 volume, 1 tone. Tuners: Non-locking. Pick-ups: 2 humbuckers, 1 single coil. Bridge Pickup. Name: Powersound. Model No: PSND2. Construction: Humbucking. Magnet: Ceramic. Description: High output with enhanced harmonics. Neck Pickup. Name: Powersound Model No: PSND-S. Construction: Single Coil. Magnet: Alnico. Description: High output with complete clarity. Neck Pickup. Name: Powersound. Model No: PSND1. Construction: Humbucking. Magnet: Ceramic. Description: High output in the neck position with no muddiness. Mine came with no accessories because I bought it guitar only.

Mak1392
    schwedengitarre wrote: There are better ibanez guitars...
    There are more expensive ibanez guitars...>.>
    sewoo55
    the pickups are not the only thing that decide whether the guitar has a good sound or not. these factors all come into play: 1) Wood quality 2) Pickups (obviously) 3) Bridge material (nickel, chrome, gold... etc) 4) Amp 5) Strings
    MetalheadforJC
    If I used locking tunners would it stay in tune when I use the tremolo? It gets out of tune every time I use the tremolo
    playpsp8
    this guitar is awesome for the price but it doesnt have a floyd rose or locking tremolo so whenever i use the whammy bar it goes out of tune (i use it lots) nad the middle pu gets in the way but 8/10 my 2nd guitar (i had a strat copy)
    BigFella69
    i've been playing guitar for 2-3 years now and i want to know if i should buy this guitar or i should get a good rg.
    BigFella69
    I've been playing for 2-3 years now and im thinking if i should buy this guitar, or save up some more money and get an rg?
    A_assassin
    I dunno where everyone seems to be getting these for $100US, even $300US, I'm looking at a left handed model (yh, being a leftie sucks) and it's almost 200GBP
    loz4
    Hey guys I have a Ibanez GRG170DXL does the L bit make any difference coz this is my guitar
    loz4