GRG170DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG170DX

Purchased from: Make 'n music

It suits my playing style really well! I play stuff like hendrix, led zepplin, vai, Metallica, Megadeth, Children Of Bodom, Slayer, Parkway Drive, etc. I currently use a Roland Micro Cube, which makes it sound amazing. The powersound pickups are average. Nothing special, but they're not too bad. It's not noisy or anything, except for when your using just the single coil, but that's normal for single coil pickups. They sound bright, but they have a slightly cheap sound... not exactly the richest sound ever. This guitar can make a wide variety of sounds, from jazz to death metal. Very wide veriety.

This guitar is a good match for my style of music. I've been playing for a little over a year at this point, and I own a starcaster, which I bought this guitar to upgrade from. I also use a Roland Micro Cube at the moment. If this guitar was stolen, I would be extremely pissed, and would hunt down the man that stole it. I might buy it again, but I would probably guy something else, just to experiment with.

This guitar will withstand Live playing, as long as you don't pound on the tremolo. this guitar has some slight tuning stability problems, but as long as you don't do Van Halen dive bombs or use the trem like Steve Vai, you should be fine. The hardware is very good, will definitely last. The strap buttons are bigger on this then most guitars, and hold the strap very well, which I like. I wouldn't use this for a gig without backup, just because I like to be prepared for the worst. But if I had to, it could take it. The finish is pretty good, it's really solid and thick. probably won't wear off for a long time.

This guitar was well set up when I bought it, be it by the shop or by the factory... The pickups were set up well. The bridge was properly routed. The only thing was the tone knob and the tip of the pick-up selector fell off, but that's easily fixed with superglue. No flaws in the guitar besides that, though.

I don't know what year it was made in, but I'm pretty sure it was made in '09, in the distant lands of Indonesia. This guitar has 24 medium frets, with an grg-style neck. The neck is a little bigger then the rg necks, but feels similar to them. The body is made of basswood, with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard, with sharktooth inlays. I got mine in the jewel blue finish, and it's brilliant! The metallic flakes look amazing in the right light. It has an RG style body, (this entire guitar is based on the RG,) with a FAT 10 floating bridge. It has passive electronics, with the Standard powersound pickups. It has just two knobs, for volume and tone, and a 5-way pickup Switch. Standard Ibanez non-locking tuners, and it came with a tremolo arm.

The^Unforgiven
    schwedengitarre wrote: There are better ibanez guitars...
    Not for the price of a stompbox, I believe.
    SlayingDragons
    At the review that Boomjosh made... He kept mentioning the humbucker buzzing. but he said that there was just one humbucker. did he mean single coil? if so, it's supposed to buzz, and it's not hollow, its just that it's not as high output as the other pickups.
    Shae \m/
    SlayingDragons wrote: Wait, so if I wanted to, I could install a locking nut on this guitar without having to do any routing to fit a floyd? or would locking tuners be better..? I just got this guitar, btw. It's amazing. I'm writing a reveiw sometime soon...
    I didn't say you wouldn't have to route it, actually i'm pretty certain that you will, i just meant that it would be easier to install a locking nut than to install a floyd rose.
    stillakiddo
    hey guyz...needed ur help...am a beginner hv been playing acoustic guitar fr abt 6-7 months now...am luking fr an electric guitar now...2 guitars suit my budget...ibanez GRG170dx nd grg270...plzz tell me wat is the difference b/w these 2..nd which one wld u prefer me 2 go for...acc..to reviews i hv seen it luks like grg170dx is better...still need ur opinions nd suggestions...plzzz plzzz plzz do rply
    Shae \m/
    Well the non DX models come without the floating bridge, thats probably a plus because the fat 10 bridge is a right prick, and dot inlays. Iv'e never played a 220 but for first electric it shouldn't really matter which one you pick if you plan on upgrading in future.
    Mahatva
    hey! guyz n' gals shud i go for Ibanez GRG170DX or Ibanez GRG220DEX???? .... btw Cort X-6 SA is also in the league... what u guyz n' gals say???
    stillakiddo
    hey need ur help once again... guitar purchasing is so confusing man...can u tell me which one of these is better.... ibanez grg270,B.C rich revenge warlock, esp ex-50 or ny other u think i shld go for....plzzz plzz do reply...am confused like hell
    DoryusenRyuuka
    Mahatva
    DoryusenRyuuka wrote: I've got a Ibanez IJX40 right now, I bought it from a friend a few years ago, he told me that there was something wrong with the bridge (FAT6). I really love this guitar but want a second guitar so I was thinking of buying the Ibanez GRG170DX but it has a FAT10, is it almost the same as the FAT6 or do you really have to tune it over and over again? Because that can be really annoying while playing, unless it doesn't happen while your playing (you get the point). It would be really helpfull if someone could tell me this
    It's a NO go man.... i seriously think that FAT10 bridge is the biggest downside of GRG170DX, otherwise the guitar is perfect. Check out for GRG270 or RG370DX or You can also check for a licensed Flyod Rose Trem guitar, that will not cost much.
    Shae \m/
    Hmm To Stillakiddo: I'd probably go the Rich revenge warlock, can't go wrong with a rich. And You can always fix the bridge by adding all five springs or a wood block behind the bridge.
    IbanezBoy95
    I heared that whammy bar makes problems with tuning... Is it true? I want to buy one
    realfoxboy
    I have a grg170dx and I can say that it is a really good guitar for that price. I didn't have any problems with the tuning or with the bridge, although I have to admit that the bridge and the action are not the best, but you really shouldn't expect better since this guitar is really cheap. It's a perfect beginners guitar and totally worth the money but anybody who has been playing a while should stay away.
    wales1
    i have the grg170 bridge/whammy kept loosing tune so i blocked the whammy with 2 pieces of wood (loads of advice on this on youtube)now it holds tune perfect and i never use the whammy anyway! tones are really good..i thinks its a good guitar but when you have been playing a long while probably better to upgrade to one that a whammy stays in tune