GRG170DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG170DX

Purchased from: guitar.co.uk

I play this thing through a Line 6 spider amp at gigs and through a crappy little Marshall at home. The ibanez/ Line 6 combo works better than ant & dec, seriously, they were made for each other. The neck pickup is really cool for high-end soloing and the neck pickup works really well for power chords/ low end riffs. Metal is this guitars forte, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold, it sings that stuff. However, what I was delighted and shocked to find out when first playing it, was just HOW diverse it can be! With the tone and distortion turned right down, you can get really powerful cleans, like the intro solo to metallica's one. And then, with the distortion back on, you can head in the zeppelin, stones- esque kind of classic rock dist., or you can easily hit metal sounds like Bullet for my valentine or Megadeth. With a little tweaking to the amp, blues, jazz, punk sounds can fly out like no other guitar I've ever heard!! The only problem I have with the sound, is that when you turn up the distortion, complex chords don't retain their sound very well and its all a bit messy, but they're perfect when the distortions turned down. The other guitarist in my band plays a Jackson Warrior and we can do kick-ass duets with our guitars, they sound surprisingly good together.

As I've said, I play mostly metal with a lot of rock chucked it, and that fits this guitar real sweetly. However, I've been playing for 6 years, I've owned 7 guitars (including 2 acoustics) and I've played literally hundreds, and not one has been as diverse as this sound wise. Would I buy it again? Hell YEAH I'd buy it again, this guitars a badass. It reminds me of the dork kid in every sports movie that ends up being really good at basketball or something, you can put it against 1000 gibsons, jacksons or whatever you want, and this little baby will hold it's own like you wouldn't believe. I compared it to a Jackson rhoads before I bought it, and I'm glad I chose the Ibanez, 1) because me and my other guitarist can do badass duets, and 2) because its so much more awesome!

This thing is a GNARLY little beast. At the end of our stint supporting papa roach last year I smashed it into my amp. The amp was gone and forgotten, as you'd expect, but SOMEHOW the guitar still sounds good as new, which I honestly didn't-- don't understand. I kick it at the end of every show and I have a habit of beating the crap out of it as I play, but the thing just doesn't quit! It literally sounds as good as it did from the box. As I've said, the strap buttons are HUGE, which means the guitar holds really well and is VERY unlikely to fall off. I have a Gibson Les Paul that I like and I use occasionally, but I LOVE my Ibanez grg170dx, and would always use it without a backup if I had to, it really is that trusty. The finish has cracks and scratches hear and there, but thats only because of the way I abuse it, it would a lifetime if you're one of those bands that stands reasonably still while you play live. The hardware is in perfect nick. The only problem you might have is the tuners, I have a tuning pedal so every three or four songs I give it a check up and give some minor tweaks here and there, but the tune does tend to stray a bit, especially if you jump from Standard tuning to eB and back again every 5 minutes, but you can expect that from all guitars.

This guitar was set up perfectly at the factory, all I've done to it over the past 3 years is change the strings. The tuning pegs are a little loose and hard to perfect, but as long as you put the strings in right they won't be a real problem.

This guitar was made in Japan in 2006, it has a 24-fret rosewood neck and a basswood body. Mine has a 'black night' finish and an Ibanez tremolo bridge. There is one tone knob and one independent volume knob. There are 3 power sound pickups and a five way selector switch. The tuners are non-locking. There's also AWESOME strap buttons that are at least twice the size they are on normal guitars, which holds the strap pretty sweetly. The middle pickup is slightly lowered, which comes in handy when shredding.

loz4
    I really love this guitar, I play through a Marshall Amp and my GU71UT effects board to sound is great.
    evilbeast3
    the guitar is just kick ass...amazing sound and ..very reliable...smooth finish and great design....A highly recommended guitar...i've done many stage shows with it...and it never gave a single problem till noe...its made especially for metal and rock.
    guitar-noob=P
    Ive had this guitar for over a year now, and i have to say its great for the price. yeah the tremolo isn't great but i had it pulled back with 2 extra springs so its no longer a floating tremolo with locks,and when i do use it the springs now make a clanging sound. So i use my BOSS ME-25 to do pitch changes with the pedals octave up and down feature, but apart from that and a little fret buzz which i've never bothered having sorted its great. the Pickups are all good they sound great and can produce harmonics easily, the pickup selector (although a little noisy ) is still perfect, the tuning pegs are very stable still never had to be messed with. the only feature that has broken which i'm guessing is because of a wire coming loose after swinging my guitar round in an attempt to avoid a staple in the head from an over enthusiastic friend after a school concert, is the tone dial now dulls the sound to a crackling hiss when it turned down to 0 which never used to happen before that event. Overall the guitar sounds great and plays amazing.
    guitar-noob=P
    Oh and just to add to my comment above i run my GRG170DX through a BOSS ME-25 and a Roland Cube 15x Or sometimes My Peavey Rage 158 when my friends are round as a few have no pedals and the Peaveys distortion isnt great so i let them use the Rolands much nicer distortions.
    keggymoo
    Spiridon69 wrote: Spiridon69 wrote: this is my first guitar. One of my coils is loose (the one closest to the neck) does anyone else has this problem? it doesn't dangle or anything but it is not firm either like the rest
    I've got this guitar too, the pickups are fairly firm, although the neck one does move a little bit more than the others. I certainly wouldn't call this a problem though. And @anyone who's moaning about the tremolo, the GRG370DX has a locking Floyd Rose, but is more expensive and doesn't look quite so badass. I was tempted by it, but at the end of the day I'm not paying an extra 200 (which is what it was) for the Floyd Rose, when this guitar is awesome as it is. The sound is so much better than my Squier Affinity Strat, and it's way easier to play too.