GRG170DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG170DX

Purchased from: MusicMart

I play mostly heavy metal - Metallica-type stuff. Combined with distortion from my Zoom G2, it gives some really rockin' sounds! I'm using a really terrible amp, 10-watt. But this guitar has helped me crank out some amazing sounds. It gives a very clear, bright tone because of the lone single-coil pickup, but the humbuckers ensure a lot of variety. On low gain levels, it would probably be good for bluesy stuff (I wouldn't know - I don't play blues, I'm just guessing) or classic rock. Make no mistake though: this is a metal axe. All in all, the sound far exceeds what I'd expect at this price.

This matches perfectly with my style. It's an excellent choice for players of all levels on a budget. I compared it with an ESP LTD EC-10 and a Greg Bennett AV3, but this took the cake for playing clarity. As I've mentioned, I'd prefer a Floyd Rose, but I have no regrets about buying it and would get another if I lost it.

I only gigged once with it, but it's stood up pretty well. I play about 4 hours a day on weekends and its stayed in top-notch condition. Strap buttons are tight, and the finish is durable. It has stayed in excellent condition in the 2 months I've had it, and seems like a durable axe.

Before I got this guitar, I'd played with a $75 Strat copy, and the action was HORRIBLE. The action on this guitar is quite simply excellent. No fret buzz, and easy for Van Halen-style tapping and metal soloing. I've mentioned that I don't know when it was made, but it looked brand new when I got it! Everything was clean and in place. Only flaw: I could see a half-centimetre of wire poking from under the pickups (very minor).

The Ibanez GRG170DX. One gr8 piece of equipment. I don't know when and where it was made. It's made of basswood with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. 24 medium frets with a sharktooth inlay, FAT 10 Bridge, HSH pickup configuration with 5-way selector. The features are great for something in this price range ($300-400). Like many others have said, I would have preferred a Floyd Rose, and maybe EMG pickups, but oh well... It would have doubled the price. Overall, its features were great value for money.

Marlon Thiele
    iv owned an Ibanez GRG170DX and ater 2 years durability has been good, but i have no idea how to replace the strings? shuld i jsut go to a proffesional or is it that easy?