GRG170DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG170DX

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

I like to play rock, pop, and sometimes metal. But with this guitar you can just play around with the effects on your amp and you can actually play pretty much anything! But the ideal is rock with this guitar, something like Micheal Jackson's "Beat It" is always a good one on the Ibanez. The humbuckers are amazing and the single coil is pretty good too, I personally prefer the neck pickup, it sounds fuller.

As I said before I play rock, pop, and sometimes metal. Yes it is a good match because Ibanez was made for rock music. I have been playing for 3 years now and I own a Les Paul Special, a Ibanez RGD, a Fender Eric Clapton Strat, a Line 6 JTV-89, and a 2011 Paul Reed Smith limited edition. In amps I prefer Line 6 they get the most kick out of the wattage (150 watts), I also have a Line 6 Spider IV 15, for a 15 watt that thing is LOUD! It sounds like a 30 watt on full! If it was stolen or lost I would get the same thing I just can't live without my Ibanez! I love everything about it! I don't even mind wiping it off after every practice. My favourite feature is the tremolo bar, I just like playing "I Like To Move It" while wiggling it around the sound is hilarious! I did compare this one to all my other guitars and I found this one has the best sound although now that I mention it, it is kind of a heavy guitar compared to the Strat.

This guitar can withstand anything! I played at full blast on my 150 watt Line 6 and nothing happened to either of them (plus a played a few gigs) the hardware will last, I've seen so many live performances and nothings ever happened to this guitar. The strap buttons are actually quite large so they can hold the strap much sturdier. I can definitely depend on this without a backup, it, to me, is the definition of THE electric guitar, I would use it in a gig without a back up because I've had it for a year and it's never broken down on me once. The finish is really good, there's at least 3 coats of gloss, but that also leaves the annoying fingerprints, but with a guitar this good, who could complain about wiping a small area of the body with a towel?

Actually once I took it out and it was already tuned perfectly, nobody had used it before lol, the fret pickup was a little high but I adjusted it in a matter of seconds. The top was perfect, nothing was messed up, the frets, the bridge, and the routing was perfect too. The nut wasn't like my Jamine (by Takamine) acoustic guitar (the high e was too low. Basically: NO FLAWS!

It's a 2011 model, made in China. It has 24 frets with a nice clean rosewood back fingerboard, its neck is somewhere between medium and thin, its a solid top.the body is made of basswood. The only annoying bit is the glossed finish over the red, whenever you touch it it leaves REALLY obvious fingerprints so you have to clean it practically every time you use it. Its an RG style so if someone turns around while holding it, it'll stab you in the stomach. The bridge is a FAT10 floating tremolo, according to my music teacher these are amazing (THEY ARE!) There's one volume, one tone, and a five-way pickup switch.

sstony
    This is funny
    and hes reviewing a Gio.
    tulseytown
    I finally bought one of these guitars due to the reviews that seemed positive about playing this guitar. I found a GRG170DX on Ebay for $91.00 delivered price. When I received it I had to adjust the truss rod, the bridge, and the pickups but it sounds nice now. The strings are higher than I'm used to but having a 24 fret neck is what attracted me to the guitar. The guy who sold it to me forgot to include the tremolo arm in the package, but it's on its way tomorrow. My guitar was made in Indonesia and is S/N 050941491 if anyone can tell me what year this one is. It is black.