GRG170DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG170DX

It suits all the music styles. Especially Clean (Single Coil) & Metal (humbucker). I am using a Marshall MG15 with it. It is cheap but produces great sounds and am thinking to buy an DigiTech effect processor. My amp does not have a Delay/Reverb so I am having a bit of problem though it would be solved after I get the processor. I tried playing metal and it is completely fine with that. It has a bright sound but the sound does not last for very long. I tried doing the palm muting way by keeping hand above pickups and playing, but it did not produce any sound, so that was a disappointment. And also it is very difficult to do the natural hamrax (or something like that) which is for producing high pitch sound that lasts for very long. It's just mediocre but still fine.

Well, I play clean mostly and it suits me perfectly. I own two acoustic guitars also but they don't look as thrilling as this. Obviously I'd look for it and even if I had the bucks, I'd buy it again. This is superb in the terms of style and everything. I love the cherry red colour with the gloss. It adds to my style and upon that it isn't really heavy. I also like the non-locking tremolo so that I don't have to move around with something hanging on my bridge and I can remove it when I don't need it. I didn't compare it at all, because the day I bought it was Eid (I am Hindu) and my father had only this day free. First choice was Epiphone Explorer GT, because of the price and the killswitch. I did not expect an Ibanez for myself, but I had only a few choices on this day, and others were Fender and Silvertone. So I bought this. Well, I wish it had a Kill Switch like Epiphone GT's. But I know that it is a completely silly thing to ask for it is made by Epiphone only.

I haven't tested it by taking it to a gig. But I have to take it day after tomorrow. It isn't looking that reliable because of the amp out jack problem. But I don't have any choice, I have only one guitar after all. The strap buttons are completely solid and are dependable. The finish is amazing and it isn't as fingerprint friendly as other guitars. It is amazing in that term.

It wasn't tuned definitely. Nothing was adjusted, it was like I had to do everything. From tuning to setting the buzz. One thing I noticed was, the fretboard had some scratches. It was as if the wood used on the fretboard was not polished well. Secondly, while playing, loud pop sounds were being produced from the amp. And then the cable fell out with two more parts from the inside of the jack. Much of a heart attack for me, the parts inside are moving vigorously. Might be a defective piece for obviously it wasn't my fault for neither am I rough using it nor did I pull the jack out with power. Will have to get it repaired tomorrow.

A great guitar with gloss finish. Everything is fine from pickups to nut. Very light buzz is heard, which is unnoticeable. Everything is fine and good in the terms of looks. It's a bolt-on construction with two humbucking pickups and a single coil in the formation of HSH. It has a FAT10 bridge which is good though SAT10 would have been better. It also has a volume knob, tone knob and a 5-way pickup selector. No other accessories were given except for a Non-Locking Tremolo that comes wrapped around the headstock and the hex-drivers.