GRG170DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG170DX

Purchased from: EMIS Music Shop

I usually use this guitar for classic rock playing, with some pop-punk and other forms of rock as well, but it works perfectly for any style I use it for - to the extent that It is the first guitar I've owned where I've never felt the need to buy a different one. I use it with a Peavey Vypyr and a Marshall stack and it sounds just as great with the more classic rock sound of the Marshall as it does with the harder rock sound of the Peavey.

In conclusion, I believe that this is a very good guitar for all styles of music. I have been playing guitar for five years, and have had this guitar for a year. I also own a Dean Razorback and a Gould, but I very rarely use either of them because of the Ibanez. If this guitar was stolen I would almost certainly buy it or a higher model Ibanez due to it's fantastic sound and finish. Apart from a better bridge, which cannot be expected from a guitar of this price, I would make very few adjustments to this instrument.

This guitar is an extremely durable instrument and the beautiful finish has not even been scratched, despite frequent and very active live playing. The hardware seems like it will last and the strap buttons are very reliable; I've never felt the need to get strap locks. It is a fantastically dependable guitar and I never feel the need to take a backup to gigs.

The guitar was set up almost perfectly when I got it, with everything exactly as I would expect it. I only had to make one adjustment, and that was to bolt the bridge to the body, as the non-locking tremolo was causing the guitar to go out of tune far to easily. However this has not effected the tremelo arms performance and I have no other complaints.

This guitar has 24 frets of medium size and I've never had any problems with the maple thin neck which has a rosewood fingerboard. The body is a solid top made of Basswood and has a cherry apple red finish which looks absolutely stunning, one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen, including Les Pauls. It has an RG style body and the bridge is a FAT10 non-locking tremolo, it also has a volume control, a single tone control and a 5-way pick up selector. The features are very good for me, but I would have preferred a better bridge (for example a locking floyd rose).

Poglia
    This was my second guitar. Absolutely stunning for the price. Extremely comfortable and easy to play. The sound was ok, but not great (a bit too compressed, lacked dynamics). Overall a very good guitar. I highly recommend it.