GRG170DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG170DX

Purchased from: Sze Chan

It was made in the year 2004 in China. There are 24 Medium frets. It has a rosewood fingerboard and a maple thin neck. Solid-top. The body is made of Basswood. It is finished in a Gloss Black. The style of the body is an RG Style. The Bridge Style is a FAT10 non-locking floating tremolo with passive electronics. It has one volume control knob, one tone control knob and a five-way selector. The Pickup Configuration is H-S-H. The Neck's PU is PSND1(H). The Middle's PU is PSNDS(S). The Bridge's PU is PSND2(H). The Tuners are Non-locking. The Brand of the tuners are stock Ibanez tuners. Included accessory was an Instrument Cable Jack 6m Standard.

It suits more of a metal and punk music style. I'm using a Fender Frontman 15R amp but I use it only at home. I use DigiTech Metal Master effect pedal. It is noisy cause of the single coil with my Metal Master pedal. On a clean setting the single coils sounds very bright. The bridge pickup is really good for distortion and sounds fat. I find the bridge pickup to give a more pumped up good solo when it's on overdrive. I tend to use the neck's double humbucker often cause I like how low it gets. Overall the sound is good for an entry-level intermediate player.

The guitar was set-up quite nicely. The action was nice for me. It plays easily and doesn't require a lot of effort. The pickups were adjusted pretty well. The bridge was routed finely. The only con about this guitar is that you'll face a lot of finger oil imprints on the body. All is perfect. The neck is perfect, the frets are perfect, the routing is perfect, the bridge is perfect. An occasional cleaning is a must for this guitar as it tends to get slippery from the oil your fingerprints leave behind.

It should withstand live playing but definitely not on a serious level kind of playing. The hardware will last if there is proper care for them. Solid strap buttons, locking straps are a must if you wanna play for live settings with this guitar. I've used it on countless gigs without a backup and I can say it's very reliable. The weight of this guitar is pretty average for most electric guitars. The finish will definitely last you for many years to come. The finish is polyurethane and could withstand much abuse.

I play metal, punk and indie rock. This is pretty my second choice guitar for my kind of music. I've been playing for nearly 5 years. I don't own much gear but I own one Ibanez Gio and one Fender Strat. For the type of music that I play, this Ibanez Gio is the best option. I don't regret buying it at all. I would buy this model again if it was stolen or lost. I love the shape,finish and size. Hate is a very strong word but I can say I dislike the single coil. My favorite feature would be the tone control cause I love indie rock more so it's very easy to control your tone when playing indie rock songs. I did compare it with others but I chose this particular model because it was within my budget and it seemed like the perfect one for an intermediate player at that time. If I had enough money I wished I had the Fender Telecaster but since I didn't I totally recommend Ibanez GRG170DX.