GRG250DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG250DX

Price paid: € 340

Purchased from: Muziekhandel Piet Joosten

I mainly play rock and metal, bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, Metallica, Pantera etc. At first I just used it with a Marshall AVT50X but I found the distortion slightly disappointing so I bought a Boss ML-2 pedal. The bridge pick up doesn't really give much of a humming sound, but the middle and neck pick up hum like crazy if you get what I mean. I love the sound though, I like turning the reverb on my amp all the way up and play on the middle/neck pick up on the clean channel. For more heavy stuff the bridge pick up is fine for me. The sound the guitar can make ranges from very pretty clean stuff with the reverb to really aggressive roars. It's not as good as some of the more expensive guitars but for the price it's very good.

It fits my style perfectly I just wish it had a more aggressive sound though. Also, one of the reasons I bought this guitar, other than the looks, is because of the Floyd Rose style bridge. I kind of regretted it though, especially when I switched to Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings. The fiddling around with the bridge took me hours! Now I know why the local guitar shop charges so much for a full set up on a Floyd Rose... So overall it's a great guitar for the price you have to pay for it and it can compete with the more expensive models. I'm not sure if I'd buy this guitar again if I ever lost it or if it got stolen, I will probably for the sentimental value.

I played with this guitar two or three times live and it did an amazing job. I do think it's reliable but I would bring a back up if I had one. The finish seems thick enough, I have this guitar for almost two years now and the finish is still perfect. The paint on the locking nuts and bridge is starting to come of though.

When it came with the mail I noticed that the action was incredibly low. I was very happy to see that, I got some minor buzz though, so I had to adjust it a bit. The bridge was set up perfectly. I guess Ibanez' quality control is awesome. I did Switch out the strings to Dean Markley Blue Steel strings though. I also put strap locks on it immediately Other than that it was perfect.

Mine was made in Indonesia. I don't really know in what year. I imagine early 2010 though. But don't quote me on that. Specs: - 24 medium frets - Maple neck - Basswood body - Edge III bridge - PSND1 in the neck position (H) - PSNDS in the middle (S) - PSND2 in the bridge position (H) - Red Sharktooth inlays - Black finish - Red pickguard - Ibanez non-locking tuners That's about it I believe. To be honest, the only reason I bought this guitar is because I thought it looked kick ass. It's my first guitar anyways. So judging from the looks I'd give it 10 points. The Floyd Rose style bridge is a pain in the ass sometimes though, but it stays in tune pretty well.

Petar
    theknuckster wrote: "Mine was made in Indonesia. I don't really know in what year. I imagine early 2010 though." "I have this guitar for almost two years now" I know you said not to quote you on when it was made, but if you've had it for two years then it probably wasn't made in 2010?
    +1 WIN
    theknuckster
    postmortemspasm
    Exactly what I was about to quote. :/
    Haarbal
    I got one, love it! Only thing, sometimes it takees hours to tune....
    backyardgallery
    just got it today: wonderful clean sounds on all pus, distortion: great (play it with tubescreamer via a marshallg80 r cd, fender frontman, mustang 3, vox vr30-now I know for which guitar that was meant!) nice neck too and when you like the design- a wonderful guitar for many styles at a stunning price!
    seemeel
    bloodshreded wrote: My current guitar is a "Epiphone Special 2"
    I have one of these. They are total rubbish.
    dragozan
    I bought this guitar less than a year ago. Twas magic, i had 285 on me, and that guitar was on a sale for 285 exactly! It was fate, had to buy it, and dont regret it whatsoever! (Although there was a period where it really ticked me off; changing the string type means hell for adjusting the tremelo tension >.