GRG270B review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRG270B

Price paid: € 170

Purchased from: second hand

The bridge humbucker can handle the distortion and the attack of heavy picking, and get the picking nuances. It has good tone, but could have more treble. The neck humbucker's tone is similar, has tons of bass, and almost no treble, so I can't get good clean sound with it. But it is good for distorted shredding if you like solo tones which has clarity and attack at the same time. In the second, third and fourth setting the guitar has a bit cleaner sounds, but it's still not a Fender. The good part is that none of the pickups are noisy.

I play metal tuned down to Drop B and this guitar is good for it. I have played for 4 years, I have an Ibanez RG350EX too and I consider only two differences: a bit thicker neck and different weight-composition. But both of them are good axes, the RG is a bit higher quality. If it were stolen I would buy it again. I love everything about the guitar I just want to change the pickups, and I'm sad because Ibanez (while designing the Edge system) didn't care about us, who like down tuning.

The guitar stays in tune for weeks, the neck is thin, comfortable, and fast, the floating bridge is usable, the pickups are not noisy, each part of it is made to last. You can count on this little metal-axe. I would use it on stage. The finish won't wear off if you take care of the guitar.

I bought it from second hand, and the setup was horrible, but this is not the fault of the factory but the dealer's. It took about one or two days to set up well, but its playing comfort is awesome now, and it stays in tune for weeks even if I pull the tremolo bar all the way down. But I'm sure that Ibanez factory set up the brand-new models not perfectly, but well, so I give a nine.

It was made in Indonesia, I don't know the year. It has 24 medium frets on a rosewood fretboard. It has a thin maple neck, not as thin as my RG350EX, but its neck is comfortable and good for hyperspeed shredding too. Body is basswood, so its tone has tons of bass and it is awesome for heavyweight modern metal sounds. The guitar's weight is good, the material is not missing. Bridge is Edge III Floating bridge, which is able to stay in tune for weeks if you set it up well. The guitar has H-S-H pickups, a volume and a tone knob and a 5 way selector. The tuners are not some high-end, but I think they would be reliable on a fixed bridge guitar, but this guitar has locking trem. I must mention that the bridge's block has only 3 holes, so you can't tune down the guitar without drilling the block. There are screwed bolt holes in the place of the 4th and the 5th, so the best solution I think is to drill two holes between the bolt holes and the middle spring hole, and then you can make a spring-scheme like this: |/\|. (I must also mention that Edge Pro bridge has the same down tuning problem, which is a shame for high end guitars).