GRX20 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRX20

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I think that this guitar can suit many different styles, I play a wide variety of rock and it suits me just fine. I'm using a Behringer GM108 amplifier, Behringer X V-AMP multi effects pedal, and a Behringer HB01 Wah pedal, great combination. The guitar hasn't ever produced any unwanted feedback, and it has a nice full sound to it. Before I bought another guitar I used this this beast to play a wide variety of standard tuning bands and sometimes drop tune it, but now since I have my Ibanez RG370 I use this only for drop tuning, and I love the sounds I am getting.

I play a wide range of rock, metal, and some blues, I think it's safe to say that this fits all of them. If this was stolen, the only reason I wouldn't buy it again is because the guitar is only 22 frets, and it doesn't have locking tuners or a locking nut. I compared this guitar to many other guitars, I chose this beast because of the looks, the good reputation Ibanez has, and the price to value ratio. I strongly encourage anyone looking to start the wonderful journey of being a guitarist to at least try it, don't let the price fool you!

From the experience I've had with it (a year this month) I will definately use this axe without a backup. The hardware is solid, the strap buttons were ok, but I took the liberty of slapping on DiMarzio Clip Locks (highly recommended, but the strap is pretty long). The finish is prety nice, but like most dark colors it shows fingerprints, no big deal! Keep your gear clean, wipe off the oil from the strings and body and you're set! I have a few small scratches, and one nickel size nick that goes to the wood, but that was completely my fault, no worries.

The only flaw that I found on this guitar (other than being out of tune) from out of the box was the action, which was very easily adjusted to my liking. I can't think of any flaws that the guitar had, she's a beauty.

I asked for this guitar for christmas last year, after doing extensive research, and I couldn't have gotten a better guitar to start out with. The GRX20 I recieved is black, with a black pickguard, and it has 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, 3-way pickup selector, 2 Powersound humbuckers, and a Fat-10 tremolo bridge. I don't use the tremolo too much because it easily goes out of tune, but what can you expect for a guitar that doesn't have locking tuners or a locking nut?

the spiker
    IF you are looking to save a little money, you could just replace the pickups to EMGs or DiMarzios instead of buying a whole new 700 dollar guitar that can do the same thing? It's a nice little guitar.
    zeppelin5005
    my friend has this guitar and when i bend notes on the g string and b string it goes out of tune. My first act is better when it comes to bendin notes.
    acousticky14
    i'm thinking of buying this or a dean evo xm.. but i want a floyd rose guitar which i find more expensive.. watevr..