GRX20 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRX20

Purchased from: Musician's Choice

Very versatile, can play most stuff like: classic rock, metal, punk. It surprised me with being able to play some blues and experimental. You have to use a good, or more powerful amp, otherwise it won't sound really good. You really have to experiment and fool around with the pickup selector, and tone/volume settings, as well as your amp configuration. It produces very little noise when switching pickups. It does make A LOT of noise when you raise the volume, a noise gate cleans it up perfectly. You might wanna get new pickups for it, later on. I recommend at least a DiMarzio Super Distortion, at the least. In the bridge, it will improve the guitar's sound greatly, clean and distorted. This guitar has a good punch, which is best about the sound. You can get good Hendrix punch, and Nirvana. It sounds dry though, it doesn't sound unique, even though it wasn't aimed to be. It is just an all-around guitar.

I play experimental, punk, metal, progressive, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I like noise so It does match my style. I have been playing for 5 years. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy a new one, it's only $150. I really like it's durability and punch. You'll either hate or love the dry sound. I wish it had come with better pickups, a fixed bridge, and in different colors (I don't like the metal look).

This guitar will withstand Live playing, but I recommend a backup. The stock hardware lasts pretty long. You might want to re-oil the neck later on, from playing a lot.It has worn out, but probably won't for most people. The best thing about this guitar is that it has a really tough body. I have hit this guitar on concrete floor, really hard, and only a 2cm x 2cm piece of paint got scratched off. It has been thorough many Nirvana style destruction. I have put this through amps, threw at at drum kits, and hit it on the ground. I think you would have to get a jackhammer to break it. I recommended a backup though because it feels really light, so that makes me think it might shatter into a million pieces at a gig, someday.

The guitar had crappy strings, and tuners. I recommend a new set of both of those. The pickup height was adjusted to the best extent. The cosmetics were good. The intonation was really close, but I had to fix that myself. It was perfect, no flaws, whatsoever.

Made in China, 2005. Comfortable maple neck, rosewood fretboard, Super Start-style basswood body, 22 frets, medium frets, typical Strat-style bridge bridge, two stock humbuckers, with 3-way switch, glossy black finish, cheap tuners. Came with whammy, gigbag, some picks, and a strap.