GRX20 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRX20

My style of music is mostly rock and metal, and this guitar is built especially for that, I believe. I use it with my Ibanez footpedal and Line 6 amplifier, and together these produce a wide variety of quality sounds. The pickups could be better, but if they were, this would be a 300-something dollar guitar at least. The sound it can produce is still pretty sharp. If you like playing a mixture of clean and distorted guitar for rock or metal music, this guitar is designed for you. I enjoy hearing myself playing along with all my favorite songs on this guitar.

Overall: This is a great buy, if you like any kind of rock or metal and want to play quality music-- without paying half a fortune. I've been playing for a year and a half now, and also play the keyboard and am in the process of learning the drums. Playing this with a Line 6 amp and Ibanez footpedal makes the guitar's sound quality stand out more-- and proves it's ability to keep up with the best. The pros of this guitar are it's looks, sound quality, dual humbucking pickups, and easily affordable price. The one disadvantage might be the little bit of noise it emits when I record, but I have no complaints about it. Before buying the Ibanez, I compared it to all similarly priced guitars online. After reading the reviews, and looking at its features, I concluded that this is definitely the best deal under $200. Compared to the Fender Starcaster, which is about the same price, I see a world of difference in quality and performance. I personally reccomemnd this guitar if you like its features and style.

This gutar is about as durable a guitar as any other starter. Obviously, it probably won't last as long as a more expensive one. It is reliable, though. I am confident enough in it that I could go on stage with it without a backup, and not worry about the strap button falling off or the strings coming out of tune. The finish is more than durable. (Although I haven't tried destroying it to shreds on stage yet ^_^) With basic care, it should last as long as you need it to.

I got mine refurbished, so my story may be a unique exception. Most of the guitar was finished well, but mine had a couple minor issues. The first one was that the bottom string that was bent out of shape at one spot. This could have happened in shipping, however, and it's really not of any consequence. The other is that the instrument cable wouldn't stay in the jack. I tried unscrewing it and adjusting the clasp several times, but it would always loosen again. This was fixed by a simple visit to the guitar shop, which only cost 15 bucks. No real trouble, and I haven't had a single problem with the guitar since.

The GRX20 has 22 frets on a maple neck, which is bolted onto a basswood body. The finish is is nice, and looks really cool for a guitar this price. It has 2 dual humbucking pickups, and a switch that allows you to switch between the two or use them both together. It also has a volume and a tone knob. The non-locking tuners are very compliant, even for someone who changes tunings every few songs like me. If you do choose to stay in one tuning, though, you will not need to retune more than once a day (unless you do an excessive amount of bending.) The size is standard, and it in't too heavy or too light. The bridge is slick-- perfect for fast solos. Overall, the build is pretty standard but much better than other guitars for the same price range.