GRX20 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRX20

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

It suits my style which is Metal and Hard Rock pretty well especially with the thin neck for moving quickly up and down the neck. It can play other styles well too I've managed to get good blues and classic rock sounds out of it. I use a Ibanez practice amp and sometimes a Peavy full stack with it. No effects other than a distortion pedal. The pickups are a little weak but for the cheap price of this guitar its not even really worth replacing them. You can get a decent sound out of them but they're sometimes noisy when you have the distortion turned way up and don't mute the strings right away after every chord. You can get some decent pinch harmonics out of it.

I've been playing about a year. I play mostly Metal. Thrash, Speed, Metalcore, and of course heavy. It fits my styles well and even though its cheap I like this guitar so much better than even my dads Fender Strat because its possible to get a much better sound as far as palm muting and other things on this. I probably wouldn't buy it again if it was stolen but it was a good choice for a first guitar. I love the neck and absolutely hate the bridge. You can barely even move the whammy bar, if it had a better tremolo even a edge 3 it would be so much nicer. Overall a good solid guitar especially for beginners.

This guitar could stand up to live playing. In front of a very large crowd at very high volumes it wouldn't be the best choice but you could do it. Some of the material feels kind of cheap but the strap buttons are very solid I've never had a problem with those. It has been super dependable so far, I would take it to a gig without a backup.

The overall setup was very good. The pickups were well adjusted there was no scratches or anything to complain about other than a loose input jack which was not hard to take care of.

The Ibanez GRX20 comes with a 22 fret bolt-on neck which is very thin and fast, laminated top, with a Basswood body and a Maple neck. It has a FAT 6 tremolo and 2 Powersound humbucking pickups with ceramic magnets. 1 Volume knob 1 Tone knob and a 3 way pick up selector.

reversegenesis
    MarkoakaNiggaK wrote: @sewoo55 that esp has no termolo...and the tuning problems on this ibanez are solved by just building in a locking nut...
    That would require fine tuners on the bridge to counterbalance the strings going sharp when you lock the nut down. Also for a beginner guitar this has a lot of 9+ reviews, makes me wonder if the ibanez prestige are the guitar equivalent of the holy grail by comparison.
    rv_phoenix
    Most_Triumphant wrote: Hahaha!!! That guy is complaining that the guitar sucks next to his Gibson Les Paul...duh!
    You're right about the height of the other comparaison term. But anyway this guitar is one of the lowest possible incarnations of the Ibanez concept. In fact, it's their replz to the likes of Squier Bullet and Epiphone LP Special. We cannot ignore the price factor, however a review should tell the truth about instrument's real value. Thus, we have to have a Les Paul or a Start in mind... An 8,6 makes this low-cost guitar look better than an RGX. Which is totally unfair. I wouldn't give more than a 6,8. Compared to a real guitar, it sucks in all respects: wood, pickups, hardware. It's perfect only for those seriously deprived of any musical sense. Btw: with only 100 euros more, you can actually buy a real guitar!