GRX20 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRX20

Price paid: A$ 150

It delivers great versatility in it's sound delivery, enabling the musician to play the clean notes through to the heavy crunching chords. For the price, it's hard to look past as a viable choice for most musicians. I play this through some fairly inexpensive and modest equipment (a Zoom G2.1U for effects, into an Ashton MXL12FX mixer and out on a Behringer GTX30 on the clean channel). It works well for me, as the combination gives me the flexibility and versatility of creating just the sound I need with a stomp of my foot.

There seem to be a large disparity and differences when it comes to the Ibanez GIO GRX20. Many say they love it. Others hate it. I fall into the "Love It" group, and truly love this instrument and in the 12 years of owning it, it has yet to let me down.

With the normal 22 frets on a rosewood board with double humbucker pickups, I still have all the original stock gear on it, including the bar, tuners, etc, and it has not yet let me down after almost 12 years of daily play. I have not had to replace or repair any part the unit (other than strings, of course) since I got it.

The thing surprisingly has stayed in tune consistently, even after some heavy screaming abuse with the trem bar and bends etc. My only disappointment in the guitar is that one fret that has an ever so slightly raised corner, meaning that occasionally the top E string can get stuck in there, but it's not a dealbreaker. Overall, I find the action is smooth, silky and responsive.

My particular guitar was made in Indonesia, and I've been told that this is a good thing due to the quality of wood used in the build compared to GIO's made in other countries.

callofnicholson
    i'm confused is does this guitar hold it's tuning or no and is there anything better that is about the same price