GRX40 review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Ibanez: GRX40

Purchased from: Burlington's Musicians Pro Shop

I used to play mainly punk, but now I like to play older rock, like Zeppelin, Kiss, Boston, and Rush. I also play metal, and I'd say this guitar is great for it. IMO, I'd throw out the amp if you have money for a better one, because the amp it comes with (IBZ10G) isn't a great amp. I don't use any effects, but I plan on getting a distortion pedal. The guitar isn't extremely noisy, but I think it's mainly the amp. If you use the amps overdrive and put the tone on guitar to 10, it gets really noisy. Or if you have on the overdrive, and don't have the guitars volume up all the way, it's also quite nosy. It has a good sound, but you should get new strings on it.

For my style, it is a pretty good match. I've been playing for a year almost, and this is the only guitar I own. If it was stolen or lost, I'd probably look for a reasonably low priced high end Epi LP. Overall, it's a pretty good beginners guitar. What I love the most, is that it was moderately cheap and came with an amp, even though it's not great.

I believe this guitar can stand live playing. The hardware seems to be okay, and it should last for awhile. Change the strap buttons, because they are too small to hold a strap that well. I'd use it without a backup, due to the fact I don't have a backup. It chips pretty easily, but just take care of it.

The guitar was perfect right out of the box. Pickups were right height, and everything else was great. It is made out of Alder though, and it's not that great of a wood. The pickup guard is a little loose in one spot, but it's no big problem. The action was great.

MasterChadwick
    I got the starter kit too. I think the guitar is great, and the neck on it makes it easy for beginners to play. They amp is pretty ok, but I suggest gettin an effect peddle for it. Overall its pretty good for playin harder stuff and i love it.