GRX40 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GRX40

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Music Max, Slovenia

I play mostly rock, blues, rock n' roll and it's not bad for those styles but it doesn't get close to a Gibson or Epiphone but it's simply great if I have the need to play metal. I use it with the Ibanez TBX30 amp and a Zoom G1X multieffects pedal and they fit togather perfectly with the guitar. It isnt noisy at all, the sound is also preety good and very versetile with some tweeking ( altough as I said before, it isnt excelent with blues and RN'R). It has the Ibanez quality but it lacks the gibson/epiphone/fender soul.

Overall it's a great practice guitar and an outstanding guitar for begginers that are still findig out what they want to play. It is great for metal and hard rock but it lacks the bluesy and rock n'roll sound. I have been playing for about 2 years and it I am currently the only one among my bandmates and friends who never had to repair his guitar. I also have a Acoustic guitar and the GRX is probably going to last longer. I do not regret buying this guitar at all. I it were stolen I would buy a diffirent model, probably an Epipone, but I would ever consider playing recreational metal I would probably buy it again. I really love its playability and feel. I don't hate anything about it. I only wish it had better tuners. I really recommend this guitar if you are a begginer or if you would like to explore metal.

I wouldt exactly recommend the guitar for live preformance, as it gets out of tune quickly when it gets in contact with the vibrations of other loud instruments. The hardware is very durable and the strap buttons haven't come loose since I bought the guitar. You can definitely depend on it and I have never used backup for it. The finish has a crack in the back but what can you expect if I dropped it a thousand times so its in great shape considering what it has gone through.

The factory set-up was excelent, it was finely tuned and the action was great. The pickups were adjusted well, the neck tension was great, the bridge was properly routed. It doesn't has any flaws. The wood wasn't damaged, the tuning pegs were tight the saddle and nut were set corectly. The ONLY "flaw" that I could find was that the input jack was a little loose but a 6 year old kid could fix that.

My guitar was made was made in 2007 in China. It has 22 medium-sized frets with a rosewood fingerboard, maple neck and a strat/ibanez style agatis/basswood solid-top body with a black finish and a white pickguard The bridge is a chromed non-locking six-screw equiped with whammy bar. The puckups are passive: (Bridge --> Neck) Hambucker STD-H3/Singlecoil STD-S2/Singlecoil STD S1. It has a volume and tone knob with a 5 way pickup switch. I don't really know which tuners it has. They have a little problem with keeping the guitar in tune when I use the tremolo bar. The neck is great; its slim so it's really easy to play and it's a bolt-on so I have easy acces to the higher frets. It came in an Ibanez Starter Pack with a practice amp that is what would you expect from a starter pack amp - playable but with a lot of unwanted feedbac. It also came with a gig bag (crap), cable (crap), a good strap, a tuner (crap) and some picks.

Deamontool
    my first guitar, yep probably is not the best out there but, it beats the crap out of other cheap guitars, i have modified this baby almost in every way, i have changed the strings to a 17 gauge (using the 3 string of a bass as the 6, and the other strings in the usual 10 gauge, E as 5, A as 4..... for a b tuning ), good sound only in 2 positions of the switch, the strap locks, the inpout jack, and the neck are cheap but its not that bad, i give it a 7.5