GSA60 review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Ibanez: GSA60

Purchased from: Used

This guitar really doesn't suit any of my styles (shred, speed metal, '80s rock, etc). I couldn't really get a tone from it that I actually liked. That's not necessarily a problem with the guitar, I just didn't like any of the tones it produced. I used it with just a plain Marshall 10-Watt, and a Marshall Half Stack, coupled with a DigiTech Death Medal pedal, that I purchased after I got the guitar. Again, not bad, but the only thing that really turned me on was the bridge humbucker by itself, and even it wasn't that great. It's pretty noisy, too. Sometimes, both of my amps would just sit there and buzz, when I was at least 10 feet from my TV or Computer. This guitar picks up a massive amount of interference, which really pissed me off, since they elected not to even include covers for the single coils, or the 'bucker. The guitar doesn't make a whole lot of sounds. It's just not very versatile. I didn't even see much difference switching from the first single coil, to just the bridge humbucker. Kind of disappointing, coming from Ibanez at least.

I wouldn't play it, at all. At least not until it's got aftermarket stuff. But that's just me. Hell, you may like an instrument with buzzier-than-hell frets. I've been playing for about a year and a half, and I own an okay Pacifica, and another Ibanez. I asked if it was a good instrument before I bought it, and despite it's appearance, the guy told me that it played as crappy the day I bought it, as the day it was shipped. If it were lost or stolen, I'd laugh at the retard that took it, because he's just punishing himself, in my opinion. What do I love? Nothing. What do I hate? A lot. My favorite feature? Probably the neck, it's pretty playable. It doesn't comapre to much else, I just wish it didn't suck, is all. But that's why I'm fixing it up, I guess. People looking for a good, cheap axe. Please, for your own sake, look elsewhere. It's just not put together very well, and the tone kind of sucks. I'm not bashing Ibanez, I own another one, and love it. Ibanez as a whole is good, but this one isn't.

The guitar is actually very solid. The neck is solid, and so is the headstock, tuners, etc. The hardware does seem like it will last, minus the pups and 'bucker of course. The strap buttons are also solid, and hold a strap well, no problems here. I would not depend on it for a gig. Hell, I wouldn't even use it as a backup. It's just not a very reliable instrument, from my experiences. The finish is good, and is very thick, it should last given the proper care.

I can't comment on the guitar being set up from the factory, because I bought it used. As far as the pickups. This is where my biggest gripe comes in. Ibanez decided, for some reason, to leave the two single coils' wiring and soldering completely open. On top of the fact that the soldering looks pretty fragile, it's out in the open. What the hell were they thinking? The humbucker is not so bad, but it wiggles like crazy, and I think it's going to fall out with the slightest bump from my pick or something. Ibanez, what the hell? Fail.

I purchased this used, kind of beat up, just as a beat up guitar, and so far, I'm not horribly impressed. I'm not sure what year it is, but if I had to guess, I'd say 2004. It's got 22 medium frets, and a rosewood fretboard, I think. I'm also pretty sure the neck is maple. It's a solid top, agathis body. Mine has a solid, gloss black finish. It's a super-Strat style body, and is actually pretty comfortable. It's got a Tune-O-Matic bridge, which is okay. The bridge is also floating, which is going to change very soon. The controls are very simple, with just one volume, and one tone knob, coupled with a 5-way selector switch. The pickups are configurated in an S/S/H pattern. The tuners are okay, just basic, non-locking Ibanez tuners. Mine came with no accessories.

thunderinblack
    yes for the price of it you can't exspect it to play as well as the top of the range guitars. this realy isnt a guitar that compleatly suits any style in particular but with the 140 price tag it would be ideal for a beginer to pick up lean on then after time get a guitar that does acomodate there style
    nt1440
    this was my first guitar at first it sucked, the humbucker sounded almost like the 2 single coils (which i coulnt distinguish from each other) so i put a gibson burstbucker into it, now it sounds better but this is by no means a GREAT guitar
    Danis1
    man, if only people who actually knew about guitars wrote reviews, im sure every review on the site says positive shit
    TheAugustSun.
    I paid 190 for it and mine cam in a nice blue. I just got mine the summer of '06 and haven't put it down.
    Alex-Sr
    only thing i dislike about this guitar is the neck: to large..to wide...but the rest is all ok. It sounds good and you can still play amazing things with it. Althoug it's a guitar for beginners and I recommend it to those who want to start playing e-guitar.
    the_shiro
    i love this guitar. the only thing i can say about it is the bridge, when i added heavier strings, the bridge tilted up towards the pickups, and you cant tighten the springs for the trem so i had to go and get more to remedy it, i ought to get a floyd-rose, but whatever. i also dont like how the amp cord comes out the edge instead of by the controls because that means you can play sitting on a bed. thats not a big deal at all, but that dissapointed me a little. theres not really any stle involved with this guitar, just sound, but it has a sweet finish! mines blue. this is a VERY nice guitar, there couldn't be a better guitar for under $300. ps. replace the string when you first buy em, the factory ones suck, i recommend ernie ball regular slinkys custom gauge, theyre killer
    joshsatt
    Just bought the guitar. Very well made. Not the greatest pickups, but if you replace them you can get it to sound like a guitar hundreds more.
    treiso
    its a good guitar, but i hit it against a wall not that hard (turning round!) and now the tuning thingy's now really loose and doesn't work
    rob1506
    Yo the guy who rated the gsa60 3.2, its an excellent guitar, ive had the same strings on for 4 months and they havent snapped once, whether the strings snap or not has nothing to do with the guitar, ever thought that it might be your plectrum thats too thick, or maybe you put the strings on wrong?
    towlie-01
    My very first electric guitar and still my most used :] this guitar has served me VERY well Learnt on it, Gig'd with it, everything and it still goes strong. All i would say is replace the damn pickups! As you progress youll find the sound just doesnt do it but its easily solved, just get some new badass pickups! I personally have a seymour duncan invader in the bridge and coolrails in the neck, i rarely use the middle. But overall a brilliant guitar! Love xx
    BW_MadCat
    I love this guitar also the first one I have. It stays in tune nicely, the neck is fast and the guitar itself is cool too now all I need is to get a better amp instead of the one I got from the jumpstart pack (not that this one is bad...)