GSA60 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GSA60

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Music Pro

I play mainly funk rock, metal, and metalcore. (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Billy Talent, Rage Against The Machine, Asking Alexandria). It suits the metal moreso than the funk rock. The Bridge pickup has a pretty gnarly tone for metal, very crunchy, might be a little trebly for some though. It's middle pickup has a scooped mid type of sound, I like it. It's hard to get a nice percussive sound on this though (String muting). I run it through a Peavey Vypyr 15watt amp. I have a BOSS DS-1 Distortion pedal, but I don't really need it for this. Nice and quiet when not playing, has a trebely scooped sound. Nice and bright, but can be made to sound richer with a little tweaking. Nice pinch harmonics on this thing.

I'm glad I purchased this guitar, at this pricerange it was a pretty good balance between funk-metal and metalcore. I have been playing for about 3 years on the electric, 4 on the classical. Been playing bass for a month. I owned some Kirk Hammet entry level guitar before this. If this was lost or stolen I would probably look around more, there was not a lot of variety in the music stores I visited. I love the finish, the general look, and the neck feels beautiful. I hate how it is a fingerprint magnet. I compared this to the GAX160 (I think that was the guitar, around the same price range). I liked the tone on this one better. Overall I recommend this to guitarists taking a step up from entry level gear. I love it.

Have not played live with this yet, but it feels nice and sturdy. Hardware feels great. Strap buttons are secure. I would use this at a gig without a backup no problem. The finish on the guitar is nice, but it loves fingerprints. Nothing a good wipedown can't fix though.

Setup was basically perfect, low action, stays in tune, etc. No flaws I could find.

Made in Indonesia. 23 frets. Rosewood. Red glossy finish. Passive electronics. Volume knob, 5 way pickup selector, tone knob. HSS pickup configuration.

eldervoice
    It's ok for beginners,mine came in a pack with a gta15r amp,accessories,cable.The tremolo is fine,for subtle use, versatile sound,it fits my taste,for learning and jamming.Regardin the tuning problems,you get an electronic tuner,it's not a problem for me to tune it at 2,3 days,depending on how much i'm playing.Every pickup combination has it's different sound,depending on your amp settings,i don't have an effects pedal.Because i'm a begginer i use every other pickup,except the humbucker,after i improve my skills,i'll try it.A friend of mine,tried the humbucker,he has about 2 years since he started guitar playing,and the sound was really good,didn't expect to get that from 300 euro,that was the price of the pack.The thing is that the quality and sound differs from model to model,because the wood ,mine is made of agathis,is different,the differences can be from small to large,but still are,the age of the wood,who knows.The finish is black,really nice,have it for quite some time,and except the finger traces,it's good,if you don't hit it of sharp objects,or drop it,it will keep its' gloss.I don't regret the investment i made and everyone should try before they buy,to know if they like the sound,its weight,i bought it from the pack from the net,i was lucky.
    DooferAndDora
    I'm thinking of buying this guitar. Money is tight, and I have a Copy Les Paul (Sheridan). I've been playing for nearly 2 years, and play a kinda Buckethead, Synyster Gates, Slash, Kirk Hammett mix. I'm still going to keep my Les Paul, to play the slash and Buckethead stuff. but is this the guitar for me? thanks
    for a player like you, maybe it's a "not a satisfying thing" if you won't get the tone, but maybe changing the pickups would be the great remedy.
    eldervoice
    For reducing the noise on the singlecoils, lower the volume ,don't just leave tone and volume up to 10.You might get some nice sounds.