GSA60 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GSA60

Purchased from: USA Pawn

This guitar was an extremely interesting find for the price I paid for it. During a hot summer day after I got my graduation check which was 50 bucks from my aunts. I decided it was time to buy probably a new piece of gear. Though I never thought it would be this amazing thing! Since the pawn shop was overstocked with guitars, (mostly fender strats and other guitars the guy told me), they were desperate to get rid of this guitar. It was a 22 fret rosewood fretboard, semi slim necked, rounded body, HSS configured dream of mine. I was in love. For 35 dollars I got a guitar that also was set up already fantastic! Action low but now low enough to be literally flat. Humbucker, with a single coil neck and middle pickup. Also a 2 point tremolo system. A volume and tone knob. It had a black straight up finish and the body was rounded and not flat so it contoured with my body well. Also, it has a 5 way switcher for massive amounts of versatility! Lastly it has what I believe is called a barrel input jack.

This guitar is a SOUND BEAST! It can play anything that I set my mind to. Want to play clean, kick that neck pickup and reverb and play off. Wanna play heavy and dirty, THROW ON THE FUCKING DISTORTION AND RIP AT THE BRIDGE! I've never loved a guitars tone and versatility as much as this guitar itself. Though there are some drawbacks to this which everyone knows is the problem. As high quality as it is for a GIO. The pick ups aren't all that hyped up. There perfect for me because I don't usually like the clean uptight tone. But if you really want a guitar like this where you pay 200 for it, but want it to sound like a true Ibanez that you paid 600 to even 800! Replace the pickups, I could be wrong but it will possibly make the best if not only problem go away! If played real loud of course it gains feedback and when played with too much distortion or much going on like anything the guitar will muddy out. I believe because it just has that much power from the guitars sound. It can pretty much like I said, play anything, clean, to heavy shit. I've even played dethklok on it and it sounds too good to be true!

When I got it, you expect a 35 dollar guitar to have its issues like action is wrong, finish all messed up, electronics everywhere, blood of your enemies smeared all over. Well that's not the case with this at all actually! Though I have found flaws. The action was perfect for me. It wasn't high and relatively low, though not to low cause I don't shred as good haha, but I can what I call simple shred. The pickups where fine but I tried to move them more down, but screws wouldn't move or go down. So I'm guessing its the pick up us already in too much, or there's something stuck who knows? The thing I found that sucks was that the input jack is a barrel style. And its SO DAMN LOOSE that I'll stand up with the guitar and the input jack will fall out. Also if it's moved a certain way no sound will go through. So I must replace that.

This guitar will pretty much give you very great reliability. The paint seems like it will never come off which is great! The tuners seems to hold a tune for the longest time! The strap buttons need to be replaced though cause after a week when I bought it one of them became too loose for comfort. Also if you need to figure out a way to hold down the tone and volume knobs, I don't know if this has happened to anyone else but they decide to move by themselves... and if this guitar was to go up to a live show. I'm sure as hell it would rock for beginners and intermediates! Also if you already have a better guitar and something happens. This guitar is a fantastic backup!

I love this guitar so much I dubbed it the name KILLAMANJARO! And I feel I'm going to be playing this guitar for a very long time! I've been playing it for around 4 months and I love it and is my main guitar right off the bat. If it was stolen I WOULD GET ANOTHER ONE STAT! I'd cry if it was taken from me! It's a fantastic versatile machine ready to go. Only thing I would say is maybe change the pickups if you have a chance. If not the stocks always work just as good! But I love, you should own it, I got it dirt cheap for something so high in quality!