GSZ120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GSZ120

Purchased from: Music Land

Suprisingly it does suit the music I play. I'm really into like noise rock like sonic youth stuff and I also play a lot of Sixties esque garage/post modern music, like the Brian Jonestown Massacre. I find that it has a sort of heavy clean tone that really gives it a cool garage rock type of thing. I don't have any effects pedals. I use the spring reverb on my amp and occasionally distortion, occasionally delay. The pickups on this guitar aren't noisy at all, they are very hot. Very good distorted sound if that's what your into.

I play many styles of music. This guitar is probably not the best match. I find that mostly metal player play Ibanez, and I never stray into that territory with it, I'd probably be better of with a tele or a nice semi-hollowbody. If it were stolen, I would just buy a different guitar. I hate the whole metal look of it really, I'm kind of into the whole sixties vibe, but I got this for christmas and figured I should use it, It actually works better than you'd expect.

This guitar will withstand Live playing as long as you don't rough it up too much, the hardware feels relatively well made, the tuner were slightly loose though. Never had any problems with the strap buttons. I would use it at a gig withough a backup, cause I don't realy have anything that could dupilicate the sound.

The action was at a medium level out of the factory. It could be lower but I never bothered to fix it. Somehow my pickups were tilted slightly, I fixed it myself with a screwdriver. Not sure what was up with that, or If I even fixed it correctly, but It was the neck pickup which I rarely use.

This guitar has 22 frets, The neck feels pretty thin to me, sometimes a little too thin. The paint job on mine features sparkles that reflect the color of all the lights around you, looks extremely cool on stage. The bridge features a stud mount system allowing me to switch bridges if need be quite easily. The stock bridge how ever destroyed my lower strings. It cut into the strings and often my low E string, and my A string would actually break while I was playing. I'm extremely confused about the volume controls and the pickup selector, there's no marking on any of the knows, and the selection seems to change when you change pickups. It doesn't much matter for me since I rarely play on anything but the bridge pickup.

roarinflames
    warlow wrote: i have a black gsz120, and ive been playing it for 2 years now,... this is a reliable guitar...
    i've had mine for three years now and i finally broke my input jack from playing while on my bed. these will last a long time for their price.
    ibanez-bitch
    I got me a Black gsz120 and it's my first guitar (playing 2 1/2 years)... I'm very glad a chose this guitar cause' it's never failed on me at anytime, stays in tune great and has an awesome sound.... From playing is through my mini-fender amp to the big ass Marshall at school, it always sounds good.
    StevoIRL
    If your a beginner i highly recommend this guitar to you it has all you ll ever need! Extremely easy to play, has a great feel and a good tone to it, it will serve you in the long run!
    SilverSpurs616
    I've got this guitar, in fact it was my first electric. I've been playing two years and I still swap back to this more often than my Les Paul. The only problem I have with it myself is that it feels like a piece of crap sometimes- don't get me wrong! It plays great. But at the end of the day, it's a 100 guitar and it's hard to be respectful towards it. Having said that, it is fantastic value for beginners and experienced players alike.
    dyllan93
    this was my first electric guitar and i could not be happier. it works great and i don't think i could ask for anything better
    Zach Dunn
    Used by the guitarist in Attack Attack on their first album (Youtube Stick Sticky Studio)
    clydeanator
    This was my first guitar. I taught myself how to play, I now play many gigs with my band. I've had this guitar for 6 years now. It is great. Treat it right, and it will give you everything yuo need.