Iceman IC200 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Iceman IC200

Purchased from: Axemusic.com

It suits my style pretty well, I play a lot of System Of A Down, Megadeth, pretty much all types of rock. I'm using it with a Kustom KGA10 10 watt amp, and this guitar really matches it for the SOAD tone. I sometimes run it through a Jim Dunlop Crybaby, and it sounds pretty good, but like most guitars it get noisier with high gain and the toe up. With this guitar I can get a really full sounding power chords, on neck and both pickup setting. With the bridge pickup on I can get a really nice lead sound, great for those Megadeth solos and System tone. I actually like to play around with solos on the neck pickup though, because it gives a really neat digital tone, kind of like Protest The Heros lead guitarist. I give it a 9 because it probably can't compare to a Gibson, but it gets the job done well.

This guitar matches the music I play very good. I have been playing since December 2005 and I own a Kustom KGA10, a Crybaby, and a Barricuda Stratocaster copy. I wish I had had a chance to try this guitar before I bought it but overall I think I made a good choice buying it, especially since it only cost me 270 CDN. I really only bought this guitar because of its looks, but the sound and quality of this guitar amazed me. It may be short on features, but it certainly is a great guitar. If this were stolen I probably wouldn't buy this guitar again, only because I would want something knew, I would probably go for a IC400, or an Epiphone SG. Overall a great guitar.

I have only had this guitar for about a month and a half, but it seems like it will hold up for a very long time. The first day I had this guitar I dropped and I thought for sure that the lower horn thing would snap off, but not even a scratch. The headstock and the finish have so far lasted really good, even though I am always bumping into things. I don't like how the strap buttons are placed; there is one behind the neck and one underneath the little tail thing. The buttons themselves are good, but my strap twists and so I have to be careful that I don't drop the guitar until I get myself some straplocks. The finish will definitely last a long time. I could easily depend on this guitar at a gig without a backup, but it is probably not a good idea to do that.

The setup was pretty good when it arrived, but I raised the action a little (which was really easy) because it had annoying fret buzz, mostly on the low E and A string, but there was some buzz on the high E, only on the first fret. That was the most dissapointing thing about this guitar. Otherwise the guitar came to me in perfect condition.

I don't know what year this guitar was made in but it has 22 frets, mahogany body, sunburst finish, Ibanez Full Tune III bridge and Quik Change III tailpiece, Infinity 3 and 4 pickups (H/H), one volume knob, one tone knob, Ibanez non-locking tuners. It came with a cable, and a allen key. I don't like how it only has one volume knob and one tone knob, because I can't pull of those Tom Morello and Buckethead pickup cut out solos and such, but otherwise it is regular features.

xsouldriverx
    yeah the HR giger guitars look way better in person, you cant realy see all of the guitar in most pics (ex i never saw the power coat back, and the amazing inlays (especialy the 12th fret) in the pictures but in person its amazing)
    seokorn
    hey it was 141.1 in which country? and how much you reckon it is down in australia?
    hippieking24
    good practice would be to turn the distortion all the way up on this thing and play the hardest song you're able to do. you'll get a lot better within a week of 2-3 hours a day
    M4jorpiz
    i have this guitar it was piano black but then i sanded all the paint off and coverd the back and sides with purple fuzz
    xsouldriverx
    also it looks amazing in the mirror black finish, but youll need to buy a soft/ibanez case for it b/c it wont fit in any other ones
    xsouldriverx
    one other thing about this guitar is that it has bigger/longer frets than other guitars but you wont notice it too much, ive had mine for two years and loved it and it was easy to drop tune down to C tuning w/ a big change in the action. i liked mine so much i got the HR Giger Iceman (based off the IC400) and i love playing it
    Tedward
    Sh*t im retarded i mean 279 and it came with better pups than the ones in the pic
    rockstar_jones
    get some old fridge magnets, the flimsier ones and cut 2 big circles. Cut out a circle in the middle of the big circles, then cut through one half so its like a washer you can slip over your strap buttons.... Put ya strap on and get these things on. They work quite well as i've done a few songs on stages with em. I have an IC200.
    Tedward
    Oh man i forgot to say this guitar really big, much longer than it looks, and i didnt get it for 141, I paid $179 CDN.
    its a fender
    I was actaully debating bout gettin an iceman, either iceman or strat, but this pretty much convinced me to go for the ibanez, thanx
    Slaytanic1986
    i relaly like the look of these guitars, but i'd probably go for a more pricey model so i get better pickups and 3 way selector or something
    rhcp_freak
    Dannychords
    This guitar has always caught my eye, in other words...I WANT IT!!!!!but..i am poor, god hates me, and im cool with that =]
    sggod01
    rhcp_freak wrote: but daron malakian from SOAD uses les pauls which he doesnt use on stage because theyre too heavy for him
    O thanx, didn't no he played les pauls in the studio, but from 1999 to 2003 daron played these babyies with mesa boogie triple rectifiers, now, he plays live with sg's and marshall mode fours with marshall bluesbreakers.