Iceman IC400 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Iceman IC400

Purchased from: Barossa Music Centre

This guitar is made for metal and rock. I play mainly metal such as Metallica, System Of A Down, Black Sabbath and a bit of rock and grunge like Nirvana. I use a Fender Frontman 15 watt amp and it sounds wicked but I'm upgrading that to a Randall 200 watt combo. The bridge pickup is great for distortion and heavy metal riffs. It has alot of feedback when on the gain channel. The guitar sounds great.

I play mainly metal and heavy rock and this guitar suits that stuff great. It's really easy to play on and is fast and attacky for good riffs and songs. I have been playing for 8 months and this guitar is great. I recently played Metallica's Master Of Puppets start to finish except for the last solo. If this guitar was stolen I would get the same one again but maybe spend a little more and get the IC400. Icemans are great. The only thing I would change on this guitar would be the neck, I want a neck with 24 frets for ultimate playing down the track, and maybe a custom paint job.

So far this guitar has been pretty good except for the pickup screw. The finish on it hasnt budged a bit. I haven't played live yet but I reckon this guitar can take one hell of a beating so it should survive. Like I said I'm going to upgrade the tuners to locking ones and when the time comes to start playing live I will upgrade the strap buttons just incase.

The story is I ordered this guitar so I could try it but the music store had to order 4 in because they kept sending the 2 year old ones in with different pickups. The guy at the store eventually managed to get hold of the manager and worked something out. In the end they had 2 get the new pickups and put them on it so techniquely I have the only 2005 IC200 in Australia which is pretty cool, being only 14 and all. Everything on the guitar was set up brilliantly but after a couple of months one of the pickup springs and a screw came out and the pickup flopped out but after a while we got that repaired and it's been great ever since. Also the pickup selector wasn't lined up properly so it changed on diagonals but that got fixed to. The only bad thing is that the case has a weird smell to it, which won't go away.

Well I bought this guitar after 6 months of playing because of System Of A Down's Daron Malakian. He was a major influence to learn guitar so I got the money organised and went and ordered it in. It has 22 medium frets, mahogany Iceman shaped body, with a rosewood finger board, Tune-O-Matic bridge, 1 volume 1 tone knob 3-way selector, bridge and neck infinity humbuckers. The tuners are none locking but I'm going to upgrade them to locking. They hold tune pretty well in standard but if you start to drop the strings they don't stay as long. It came with a rectangle hard case.

Like_That
    Rockstar_jones, half your review is irrelevant information about yourself, and at the end you say you would save up more to get an IC400. That's the guitar you're ment to review!
    System_O_A_D
    ya system of a down's daron malakian has inspired me to be a great guitar player, i am getting the iceman ic400 in a couple of months
    Loserbassist
    hell yeah daron malakian ****ing rocks, i'm playing an IC400 right now and it's awesome
    psilocyndreams2
    im probably going to get this or an icx220 soon, but i was wondering how much it would cost (if even possible) for me to change the bridge to one that i can use a whammy bar with? because it bothers me that i wont be able to use one with this.
    Rocu
    Had this guitar for about 6 months now, great guitar. The only bad thing about it is that it isn't balanced when you use a strap and that the humbuckers could be better, if you get those things fixed it's a 10/10 guitar.
    sabbath1313
    I have one of these guitars except it is the H.R. Giger Limited edition with alien graphics. It totally rocks!!
    Tedward
    on ebay there is a nice iceman with gold pickups and a whammy or tremolo or whatever the hell it is. i wouldnt bother looking for though, when i saw it there was like 1 day 2 hours left
    inefficiency
    I have this guitar, its awesome. Switching the pups out for Dimarzios soon because although they give a great distorted sound, it isn't quite "tight" enough. Lovely feeling guitar to play though.
    Fleximus Rex
    Can anyone give me a comparison to the neck shape. I.e. Is it like an RG neck, or maybe an SG or strat neck? Any help would be great