Iceman ICT700 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Iceman ICT700

Price paid: € 750

Purchased from: Music Shop

I play pretty dry (no effects) through a full valve Marshall JCM 2000 (50W) and a Marshall 4x12 Vintage Cab. I play different type of music, from very soft (jazzy, Eva Cassidy like) to really heavy (but not metal-core like). The Neck pickup is very warm, extremely good sounding (to me), perfect for Jazz and Lead, clean and distorted. The Bridge pickup is bright, good for bright distorted rhythm, harmonics friendly. Overall, the guitar is very bassy (which can be good of course), so may want to play with the tone and volume controls to get the wanted sound. The humbuckers are not single coils: do not expect the instrument to sound like a Vintage Strat, although it is actually possible to get that funky sound with the help of an equalizer (I use a parametric one) and the volume turned down. The sound definitely gets a 10.

I play soft and heavy music. I use no effects at the moment (only a wah and eventually an equalizer. The distirtion comes from the amp. I get most of the sounds I want just by playing with the tone and the volume knobs. This guitar is just what I was looking for. Nice sounding, solid build, fantastic looking! If it where stolen or lost, I would not be happy at all (and would have to buy it again)!

This guitar will withstand anything you want (except burning smashing etc, you know what I mean). The Hardware is solid. Strap buttons are very solid, but beware: by design, there is a bad angle for the button at the neck. You have (!) to get the locking strap button, if you don't want your guitar to fall. I trust this guitar. 9 because of the wrong strap button placement.

The action was perfectly set up. I like higher action, so I tweaked it a bit. Pickups needed Adjustment. With my setup, the neck pickup (despite the electronic specifications) is a lot louder than the bridge one, so my neck humbucker is way down and the bridge one closer to the strings: this way there is no unwanted volume difference, plus the neck pickup is not in the way when you pick, plus clean sounds on the neck pickup are really clean and loud (perfect if you ask me). The only thing are those edge stripes (bindings). If you look very closely, you will notice that they are not perfect. I've seed better ones. So this is not a miss-best-finish-guitar of the world. On the other hand, every played guitar get scratches (from nails etc), so this is not an issue for me. The guitar is very shiny. 9 because of the bindings.

Made in Indonesia, don't know the year (purchased in 2011). Five pieces Wizard III Maple/Walnut neck-thru with titanium reinforcement, 24 Jumbo frets, Gibraltar custom (fixed) bridge, string-thru solid body, DiMarzio D-Activator (passive) pickups, one volume and one tone controls, 3-way pickup selector (neck, both, bridge), dedicated guitar case. I switched the default pot-knobs (without numbers) for the Gibson Speed knobs (beautiful, with numbers) and this baby now has no weaknesses. By the way, you may want to take some Yoga courses to overcome your weakness: this guitar is very heavy!

62ICEMAN
    i purchased the ICT700 when it first came out and have been gigging them on stage ever since 2007 from memory , what I will say is this , as a working musician on the road every week playing 5-6 shows a week , this guitar has never let me down , it's been dropped , knocked about etc etc and still performed with out fault - yes I've had most of the IC range starting in back as early as 1980 - this by far is the best IC work horse I've had - I notice a lot of the negative reviews come from passionate bedroom players - nothing wrong with that how ever this is a great tool that has stood the test of time for me - please realize that the early IC 70s and 80s series are totally different animals compared to this model
    porter.a.young
    SupermanIsDead The Iceman was not originally made for shredding, so adding EMG pickups and shark fin inlays is not making it ANY better.
    pat875a5
    For all those complaining about the reversed headstock: Which one is better looking is a personal preference thing, but see it the practical way. With the new one, all the Strings are just straight (I mean in a straight line) from the beginning at the guitar body ALL the way to the tuning machines. This is not the case with the old headstock. This is not really an issue, but straight strings all the way through the guitar is optimal.
    pat875a5
    AngryGoldfish wrote: Why do so many people review guitars of pedals whilst playing them through amps like Line6 Spider III's? I've just noticed that. It's not necessarily just with this reviewers page, but people seem to get over excited for an amp that's only mediocre. Just my opinion.
    Agreed
    zeroceid
    Just a note: The strap button came right out of the body when I was playing, so get them changed! Also all though I love this guitar, its so weighty and not that comfortable for playing for an entire set.