Iceman ICX220 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Iceman ICX220

Purchased from: Musicians Centre

The guitar is built for metal/rock. And oh hell yes, it suits these styles. The pickups are amazing when put through an old overdrive pedal I have through my Marshall little 10w practise amp, God knows what it would sound like through a 200 amp with a Tube Screamer or something. The tone is amazing, with full volume through the distortion pedal you can get some beefy riffs with palm muting and such. Pinch harmonics are very easy to play. The guitar has an awesome sound. It does well on clean setting too.

I mainly play metal/rock and this guitar was made for metal/rock. I have been playing for about a year and a half now and have just upgraded from a Tanglewood SG copy. The SG was very good for a cheap guitar, and with some better strings it was amazing. However, it does not beat the feeling of playing my iceman, everything just feels a lot better when playing the Iceman. If it were stolen or lost I would cry for a while, then try and get another one somehow! There is nothing I hate about this guitar. I love it.

The guitar will definitely withstand Live playing. I haven't tried it yet, but I will be doing soon, and I'm sure it'll go well! The hardware seems very sturdy, the controls are chrome and fit perfectly onto the body and are very smooth when twisting them. The pickup selector also is solid. The strap buttons seem pretty solid as of now, however, we'll know for sure when I thrash around on stage! I would never go to a gig without a backup in case of a broken string, but if strings were invincible, yes, I would go without a backup! The finish is excellent. The only problem I have is the glossy blackness tends to attract dust and fingerprints, but that's not a problem if you keep it clean!

The guitar was set up rather well. I had no problems with it at all. The only one problem I had with it was that the strings that came from the factory were crap! Medium gauge at best, they sound crap when Drop D'd playing an open power chord. When I get some Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings everything will be peerrrrfect. The action was good, no problems there. There were no flaws on the guitar at all. The hardware is extremely good quality chrome.

There are many features that make the ICX220 appealing. Myself, I love the body style. It's amazing, stands out from the crowd and just looks cool! The body is finished in a hot glossy black, which is prone to fingerprints and dust, but still looks amazing when it's clean. The guitar has 24 frets which gives you a full 2 octaves on each string.

GTB24
    yeh true i can play it fine sitting dwn but prefer standing its easier to reach top frets....i think
    SnowMan1
    DJ Therrien
    Pavura
    DJ Therrien wrote: SnowMan1 wrote: why the hell does no one mention Paul Stanley for playing the iceman. He was known for playing them. Daron only played them for a few shows. Hes an awesome guitarist but Paul Stanley was way better. Does no one listen to KISS. You do realise that Daron has technically been playing the iceman scince 97 and he has changed to the SG as of 2005 right. in that timespan there is a crapload of shows and video's thats why malakian comes first im mind when people mention the iceman.
    EXACTLY but Paul Stanley's Iceman had like a broken mirror design on it which was awesome.. except he smashed it at the end of detroit rock city! anyways.. sick guitar. i admit i would rather have the IC400 .. but this one is still great. i always wanted an iceman.
    DJ Therrien
    I forgot to mention I have this guitar and I love it... I just gotta get a different neck installed.
    nibblz82
    i love it too!!! does anyone else have trouble playing it standing up? it always seems to fall forward and then the neck drags it down.
    GTB24
    yeh i find the neck falls dwn but ive got used to it and love it now i think it has improved my playing postition to be perfectly honest i love the shape every time i open my case i get shivers down my spine. my friend has an american fender telecaster but id much prefer this. the tele is not a guitar id chose not original enough i like something unusual like for example im gonna save up for one of these www.ganderguitars.com lol the aquairus i think
    Archer98
    This is a great guitar, I replaced the pickups with dimarzios and installed a strap lock on the horn of the iceman to stop the neck from falling while standing up.
    nibblz82
    Yeah, I switched to a leather strap and it holds up much better now. I love this freakin guitar!