Iceman ICX220 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Iceman ICX220

Purchased from: GAK

Generally quite a rocky sound as you would expect from two humbuckers. Slight distortion brings this guitar to life especially with the high notes, this is one of a select group of guitars which still manages to sound like liquid when played despite also sounding hard as nails. don't ask me how.

I play mainly rhythm guitar with a tad of lead every now and again, this guitar is perfect for me. It can take a beating and the strings don't rattle when you strum too hard, but also it responds to the slightest touch on the highest frets and so makes fast licks easy. I eventually want to fix a bigsby tremolo to it as I think it would sound even more awesome with some of that! I originally bought this guitar as a cheaper backup for my best guitars but ended up using it as my first choice. If it were stolen etc. I would buy it again in an instant. I love the sound and the quirky shape, however I hate the pickup screws as they ware, and the guitar is top heavy so you can never leave it unsupported with your left hand. I wish it had a Bigsby, and a more durable finish, but apart from that I think it's awesome.

I changed the strap buttons as I use quick-lok straps on all of my guitars, the guitar is great Live and I have used it without a backup, strings break very rarely on this guitar, and so I always feel confident without a safety. The wiring etc. is extremely sound and it seems like it will last. The finish looks great in some lights but in others you can see battered pick lines, I don't personally mind as I think the occasional scratch adds character, but some people might find the fine paint frustrating

the action was really messed up when it arrived, took quite a while to set it up, and one of the pickups was slightly too high, but action and pickup height tend to be personal taste so some people may have thought it was fine. After about six months the pickup spring broke and the screw became loose, this is an annoying flaw as the pickups stick to the strings due to the magnets in them and so the screw etc. has to be fixed straight away, although it sounds like an easy job the adjusting and putting a new spring in is actually incredably 'fiddly'. However, everything else seemed to be great.

Well, anyone can see that the cutaway makes access to the top frets a lot easier and treble work is a breeze. Tele-style volume and tone dials are easily gripped and look great! Forgetting the body shape it kind of reminds me of a les paul, in the way it's set up. Diagonal slots in the bridge make string changing really quick and easy as there is no need to thread the strings through tiny holes, just slot them into place? The finish looks great at first but the shiny black is extremely easy to scratch and so extra care is needed in transport and playing with picks.

greenz
    The ice man is an exceptional guitar I run this beast on a crate flexwave half stack, linked to a boss GT-10 and I have to say it gives me the metal highs I scream for and the aggressive lows I crave. since it is light weight it makes it a lot less strenuous to play standing up. I want to install some EMG actives in it to kick it up a notch!
    psionideguitar
    Tordyboi
    psionideguitar wrote: SnowMan1 wrote: why the hell does no one mention Paul Stanley for playing the iceman. He was known for playing them. Daron only played them for a few shows. Hes an awesome guitarist but Paul Stanley was way better. Does no one listen to KISS. daron played them for the first two SOAD albums, you can see them in the videos. He may have played them in the third SOAD album
    LOL he played them on the second and third. The first album (selftitled)he played a fender stratocaster.