Iceman ICX220 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Iceman ICX220

As far as I can tell, this guitar sounds great on any amp. I use it on a 10w Marshall valvestate practice amp at home and it sounds f****** fantastic it even sounds great on battered school practice amps, which even my mate's Epiphone gothic extreme struggles to do. You can get a bright crunchy tone with screeching high notes, and then sweep down to a full fat warm bassy feel just by twisting the 1 tone dial, the tonal range on the icx 220 is unreal. I'm pretty new to playing the guitar, and I haven't started to specialise in any particular style yet, but it seems to cover everything. I think it is best with metal and punk styles, but I think you could probably play anything on it, even something like Taylor swift if you were that way inclined. It is certainly the guitar to go for if you want variety, whilst still being able to fit in with a rock band. The only downside is that it lacks a tremolo, but you could probably install one of those if you're good at that kind of thing, (Which I'm not:))

I recently upgraded to this guitar from a cheap, finger-killing, steel string Acoustic. I really wanted this guitar and couldn't beleive it when I found one in perfect condition for just 75 (Inclusive of a Marshall practice amp!). This guitar looks really awesome and is a real stand out from the crowd. If it was stolen, I would have to replace it immediately with another icx 220, or possibly an icx400 if I could afford one. The only problem with this guitar is that it is neck-heavy, and enjoys hanging upside down, (Great if you are a dramatic showman and you want to play hanging from the ceiling, but otherwise quite annoying.) I understand that this isn't the case with the icx400, but there again the 400 is quite a bit more expensive. I don't think that the lack of tremolo is a massive issue unless you are a big Pink ffloyd fan, and anyone with experience could probably install one.

The guitar itself seems indestructible with the exception of the finish, which seems to collect dus, fingerprints and fine scratches. I don't mind scratches, but some might. I have not encountered any major problems myself, and I would certainly be confident taking this baby live!

The guy I brought this from was a serial fiddler, and all the intonation was wrong. I took it to the wizards in my local music store, back alley. They did a great job and now everything is absoloutely perfect. They were however reluctant to give it back because they liked it so much! The guitar was otherwise well adjusted, but you would expect that from Ibanez.

I'm not sure about all of this, because I got the guitar second hand, and I haven't researched into it properly yet. It has a really thin smooth neck with 24 frets and a gibraltar quick change bridge of some description (hard tail). There is a 3 way pickup selector Switch, and two sets of humbucker pickups on the neck and bridge. The finish is a sleek, glossy black. There is 1 volume and 1 tone dial that controls both sets of pickups. Lacks tremolo.

killeraxeboy
    i think ICX's look nicer than the IC models. i have the ICX120, i think it's pretty much the same with 22 frets anc white binding. i'll try and get a review up at some point but i just got it second hand and at the moment the neck isn't in line with the body and the intonations all over the place.