Iceman X review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Iceman X

Purchased from: Guitar Center Chicago (On Halsted)

I mainly play hard-rocking heavy metal music such as Mudvayne, Slipknot, and System of a Down (the guitarist of which uses a souped-up version of this guitar as his custom model.) However, I also play quite a bit of punk and AC/DC as well and this guitar easily suits all of my playing styles. This guitar is not noisy at all. It can give many different sounds from a great clean tone to a rock hard distortion. Also, it can go from a very bassy tone to a trebly tone in a pinch!

So, all in all, this guitar, soundwise matches pretty much about any style out there. However, in looks, it is straight Rocker- style all the way. If this guitar were stolen, I would definetely buy another immediately. I mainly love it's original design and killer tone more than anything else and I cannot find anything to hate about this guitar, except for maybe the easily smudged finish. Before buying this, I compared this guitar to the original, larger, and older Iceman 200 and Iceman 400 because I thought the shape of the original was a bit cooler and because of the fact that Daron Malakian of System of a Down used to use the Iceman 400. However, I decided to buy this one because (1) Reviews that I read on Musiciansfriend.com, the site you are currently viewing, and many other sites stated that this guitar generally gave out much better performance that the original Icemen, and (2) I found out, through Ibanez.com that Daron of System of a Down, was soon getting a brand-new custom model which was virtually the same guitar with 2 Volume and 2 Tone Knobs and a different paint job. There is nothing that I wish this guitar had. To me, it is the perfect guitar for anyone who is into any style. Also, it is perfect for beginning, intermediate, and expert guitar players. If you want to find out more about this guitar, look at Ibanez.com or contact your local Guitar Vendor. It truly is in a class by itself!

I believe this guitar would quite easily stand up to any pusnishment you unleash on it when playing live. However, in terms of looks, your punishment will definetely show on the easily smudged finish. However, that's nothing a little polish and a rag couldn't fix. As a result, I would most certainly depend on this guitar live without a backup. The strap buttons are positioned a bit strangely, but are quite solid and easy to get used to. Lastly, even though the finish is prone to show smudges and fingerprints, it should still last quite a long time.

I ordered this guitar from Guitar Center and it arrived brand-new within a few weeks. When I got it, I was quite impressed with how well the pickups were set up and adjusted and how effective the bridge was. Especially after I found out how shitty my brother's Ibanez GSA 60 was set up at first and how hard it turned out to maintain. Anyway, I couldn't find any flaws on this beautiful instrument! Even after playing on it for about a month.

- 22 large frets - A light, solid basswood body - A 3-piece maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard - A black, shiny top - A original heavy-metal style design - A fixed full tune ii bridge - 1 volume and 1 tone knob with a 3-way selector - Two Ibanez AH3 and AH4 humbucker pickups