Iceman X review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Ibanez: Iceman X

Purchased from: guitar.co.uk

Unfortunately, the older Iceman is not in the same league as the daughter products... The tone is dulled by the glue-bound truss that holds the barely distinguished sound to this mis-match beauty of a body. The light-weight body weakens any natural reverb, and unless you have mechanical fingers, string-bends sound poor. Fretwires are too wide... making soloing even more difficult. Even a Gibson SG gives more playability. However, like its following spawn, the '79 has the ability to be a great metal and rock guitar... On default factory settings, it sounds weak, but tweak the pickups a bit, and Bob is literally your teapot. So much crunch is given by simple chords

I am into my metal, and I have had to stop playing this guitar because I can barely hear it on my amp... and the amp is powerful, (as expensive as the guitar), and more importantly, the strings don't hold up. I have been playing for six years, and have owned more than twenty guitars... and this is by far "The Worst Guitar I Have Ever Played"... I totally regret buying it in terms of play, but the beauty of it is what made me buy it. If it was stolen, I would be upset because I have lost a beautiful guitar, then, after an hour or so, I would go buy the new Iceman X, or possibly a B\.C\. Rich.

Will this guitar withstand playing Live? Uhh... better question: Will it make it on to the stage? The finish seems to be able to last, but we shall never know, because the strings will have snapped because of a slight temperature change... I couldn't rely on this guitar if I was playing a gig... I wouldn't even have it as my primary guitar...

The guitar body is well made, and everything is as it should be. All the pegs and controls were well fitted, and plastic wrapped by previous owner. Repeating slightly, the pickups were poorly set up, the fretwires just about killed me during the intro to Through The Fire And Flames... as if it wasn't difficult enough. After tweaking the pickups, the Iceman pulls its act together slightly, but not enough to save its rating

Previous Generation 1979 Classic Ibanez Iceman X, so sorry for fooling with the title. Body is similar to the Fender Strat, laminated top... Frets are awesomely huge, with 24 frets, making this beauty a whopper. Normally I would do some research into the wood, but I can only assume it is Ash (nicely toned wood), with a rosewood fretboard. This particular model is finished with a transparent white gloss, Floyd Rose bridge (no locking vib.)