IJS20 Jumpstart Package review by Ibanez

Ibanez: IJS20 Jumpstart Package

Purchased from: Rockshop

I play rock, classic rock, metal etc and it suits my playing well. I am stil using the tiny practise amp that came with this guitar and it sounds okay through it, but with a DS1 and some delay it sounds amazing on my dads Fender amp. It has a nice clean tone with the pickup selector on middle, and a good solid distorted sound on the bridge pickup. It is tricky to find the sweet spots for pinch harmonics for this guitar, but when you find them they sound great. Overall I am impressed with the sound of this guitar compared to a lot of other guitars at the same, or even double the price.

Overall, I play most styles of rock and this guitar is great. I have been playing for around 5 years but properly for 2. I have played many entry level guitars including ephiphones and squires and this guitar eats them all it is great. I own a DS1, a Marshall echohead, and a Behringer hellbabe wah, this guitar, a small Ibanez practise amp, a gloria acoustic and soon a court action bass. If this guitar were stolen I would save up and buy something else as this guitar is exclusive to the package. I love the sound, look and action of this guitar but the most trouble I have had is with the imput jack, the nut has fallen off and some inside electronics are a bit dodgey now(after I stood up fast with something on the cord). The only thing I would change on this guitar is to add two more volume/tone knobs. I tried this guitar against lots of guitars including Fenders, Epiphones and even a Washburn and I think I made the right choice. This guitar is overall a brilliant starter guitar and great value for money.

I have played a few gigs with this guitar and it is very solid and I would gig it without a backup. The hardware if of good quality and the strap buttons are great! The finish shows a lot of fingerprints etc, and a few chips, but personally I don't mind. The durability is great, one thing to watch is the nut on the imput as I lost mine at my friends house and had to get a new one.

Factory set up was absolutly perfect for me with a nice low action and the pickups at a good height. It didn't have any flaws at all that affected the playing or sound. I would have preferred to have had a matt finish rather than a gloss, but at this price there wasn't too much choice.

Nightfyre
    folks, 1llusionz is talking about this pack, not some other pack. the guy that said it was a grx40 had it wrong, its a gax neck and body, but with only one tone and one volume control. the other gax models have two of each. as for my experiences... the action was too high when i got it, but i fixed that. it can get quite low. intonation was pretty good out of the box, though i had to reintonate when i switched to .010s. thats normal, though. the neck feels a little slow, and the tuners suck. upper fret access is horrible. there were 3 frets that needed leveling, the third, fourth, and sixteenth, but i fixed that too. it won't stay in tune for long, maybe an hour's worth of practise time if you're lucky. that's if you string it properly. a shoody stringing job (not pulling on the strings) means it won't stay in tune 5 minutes. i dunno about the pickups, they're ok. i'd probably say they suck if i had some to compare them too. the amp is really noisy and the distortion sucks. it doesn't feedback easily though. the dvd and book don't go into much detail, you're basically left to fend for yourself. oh, and the guitar is fairly heavy. the strap is alright, and the tuner isn't that good, but it works. the finish is nice, but the little sparkles are kinda stupid and it shows scratches and dents really easily. the sound you get isn't bad, though i can't give a good idea of the sound since my current amp isn't all that great either. it might be a little to bassy, which could be fixed by adjusting the pole pieces. all in all, a good deal, just don't expect too much out of it.