IJX40 Jumpstart Package review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Ibanez: IJX40 Jumpstart Package

Purchased from: SweetWater

This guitar SCREAMS. And not in the way you think. The pickups are so buzzy it will irritate the heck out of you in seconds. It's not fun jamming with my brother when he hears nothing but squeaking. The amp doesn't go that loud. What a surprise. It seemed more like a 5 watt amp. The tone knob was surprisingly effective. I could have the gain all the way up with the tone set to 10 and get my distorted sound then turn it down to a 1 and get a whole new sound. Unfortunately, the tone only differs when the knob is at 1 or 10. I couldn't get too much variety out of this guitar. The amp it came with wasn't very versatile, it only had a good amount of distortion or just a clean setting. The three way selector on this thing is just junk. The neck and middle pickups just make the guitar sound muddy and it's just unpleasant.

Overall... This was not a good match for me. It really wasn't. Here I play progressive death metal and punk but this guitar is for those who play hard rock or blues songs. I as of now have been playing electric guitar for 2 years and my Kramer Nite V guitar makes this guitar look like firewood. Since I got this for a gift, I wish I would have pushed the envelope and ask for a B.C. Rich or a better Ibanez guitar NOT MADE IN CHINA. I wouldn't care if this thing got stolen. I just hope they could use this to make it through a cold winter. What I love, or like about it is the finish. I don't like the pick guard. I really wish I compared this with other guitars. Do more research before asking for a cheap guitar. I wish this came with a quality guitar.

Don't rely on this guitar to be your main guitar. It's more of a toy than an instrument. Hell, use it as firewood. It's funny how they should on the box, a guy playing this guitar in front of a crowd of people. I'm sure no one could hear it. The hardware did not last me at all. The tremolo bar broke in the bridge, the tuners were very look, the output jack couldn't hold an amp Chord so it would fall out unless you were sitting down. Kind of hard to rock out when you are sitting. The finish is surprisingly lasting. I dropped, tossed, smashed this thing all over my house and not one chip or dent!

I am doing this review two years later and I think I can recall the guitar coming out of the box not in tune. Which is okay but at the time I was a beginner guitarist so it was annoying to tune my FIRST electric guitar. The pickups were all over the place. They were set so high they were TOUCHING the strings. Also, when I tuned the low e string to e flat, the saddle was pulled out by the string's tension. The input jack was loose, so I tightened it but it still wouldn't hold an amp chord. The finish was beautiful. Sparkly dark jewel blue was very appealing. But it looked ugly to me after a month of owning it.

Okay, so about 2 years ago, I got a jumpstart package for Christmas that included an Ibanez IJX40 (Jewel Blue finish)a cheap 15W practice amp, an amp Chord (that broke in a week), crap headphones (that broke when I dropped it on carpet), a very reliable gig bag, 5 decent guitar picks, a strap, a cheap tuner that shattered when I dropped it, a DVD, a tremolo bar, and that's about it. The guitar has 22 medium sized frets, on a rosewood fretboard, maple neck and I think a mahogany body. The guitar is total garbage. The tremolo bar when I first used it broke in one dive bomb and it went waaay out of tune. Luckily, I was able to still tune the guitar, but I couldn't take the bridge out because the tremolo piece was stuck in it. The neck wasn't fast, it was actually rather difficult to play the thing. The three way selector switch wasn't very useful at all and I will explain more about that under "SOUND." What could you expect from Chinese products? Not quality that's for sure.