J-Custom RG8570Z review by Ibanez

Ibanez: J-Custom RG8570Z

To put things in perspective, I only played 90's RG760 with HSS so this is a step in a new direction for me. I am not trying to point out trivial things but for me the devil is the details. This guitar can get you any sound you want from Jazz to Shred and Metal. I am using JSX head/cabs and Lexicon MX200. Love the Bridge pup but the neck pup needs some adjustment to get the kind of tone I need ( Petrucci / Vai / Satch )- I am used to HSS and this is guitar is HSH. Since I only had it for 3 days, I still need to fully grasp the fine nuances of this guitar's pups. The volume and tone pots seem to need a little too much turn to have them fully on or off than my old RG760 - not a big issue but if you want to avoid noises / feedback quickly when playing, it's not ideal for rapidly going back and forth to 10 and 0. The volume pot is not very gradual ( i.e. 0 to 2 is a huge difference instead of slowly blending in )so trying to adjust your distortion / volume levels when playing needs a little bit more attention than I am used to. The neck feels a little thicker than the usual Prestige 17/19 mm - 43/58mm. I measured it and it's slighly larger than the specs but nothing more than 1/2mm. I still have to get use to it as I played the 760 for over 20 years... Setting up the action is very easy and you can adjust it to almost any level you would want, that is a big plus. This guitar is very well crafted so you can set-up the action ridiculously low. The Tree of Life inlays takes some time to get used to but looks stunning. The Edge Zero Trem is ok. I removed the Zero Point bar to have it fully floating. It's the only way to get flutters on this trem. It's also much more stiff than the Licenced Floyd Rose Trems of the late 80's early 90s. It stays in tune- no problem. The thumbweel adjustment in the back is great - no more screwdrivers! The toolkit supplied is great ( not high quality ) with everything you need.

I play anything from Satch/Vai/Petrucci/SRV to Maiden/Testament/Megadeth and various others. This guitar can handle all of the above styles. I've been playing for 20 some years and I own Rg760's. Comparing the J-Custom to the 760's of the 89-91 era, I'd say they are pretty close. The neck on the 760s are thinner and faster but the J-Custom fretwork is also very good. I guess it's more about getting used to a new neck than one being better than the other. I hope my review helps other musicians know a little bit more about the J-Custom - great guitar!

This guitar will withstand the live playing - no problem. Seems like everything will last 20 + years. My only issue is that they should make these J-Customs with the OFR instead of the Edge Zero and offer different choices of inlays for this kind of price.

The guitar was set-up to Ibanez factory standard. I had to set-it up to my liking, which is normal, everyone's feel for a guitar is different so do not expect Ibanez to have it perfect for you. But as mentioned above, it's very easy to set-up. Same with the pick ups, factory Standard - I tweaked them to my liking. The craftmanship on this guitar is amazing. Everything is very very very well made. No flaws and the finish is stunning. It's the most beautiful guitar I ever seen.

Ibanez J-Custom RG8570Z Red-Spinel HSH J-Custom case included 5pc Maple/Walnut RG J-Custom Neck with KTS Titanium Reinforcement AAA Flamed Maple and African Mahogany back body Rosewood fingerboard with flamed maple fingerboard Edge Zero trem Dimarzio Air Norton - True Velvet - Tone Zone

Grimpond
    MaggaraMarine
    Or school has a J custom Ibanez, don't know the model, but it has two humbuckers (V7 and V8), natural finish and fixed bridge. And I'm not impressed with it. I mean, what's the point in ordering a custom guitar that has nothing special, just Ibanez pickups that they use in their cheaper guitars and a fixed bridge. But I don't know, maybe somebody has contributed it to our school.
    StonedColdCrazy
    J-Customs arent really custom guitars Maggara. Also most have dimarzio's. Fixed bridge is purely preferential. I own the rg8570z and its the perfect guitar for me and by far the best guitar I've ever played. Will add a review here sooner or later.
    humbuckerrs
    MESAexplorer wrote: I disagree, EMG's and Blackouts are good but not required for metal. Petrucci, Satch, Killswitch, Vai, Yngwie, Godsmack, Disturbed, Dimebag... tons and tons of metal players use Passive pickups.
    True story. I've had a Jackson with EMG's for over a year (and Ibanez Prestige for longer), when I first got the Jackson it gives everything I want in tone, hard edge, aggressive. But just over a year I found active pickups so "predictable" and "standard", it doesn't have much character comparing with passive pickups (so I recently bought Seymour Duncan Dimbucker and others for replacement). BUT it's totally a personal taste and I know many would disagree with my preferance.
    ProgJazzMath
    I agree, it's definitely not a must. You can get great tones out of the stock pups in my opinion, an upgrade is obviously up to you. Honestly, if you want the best tone for metal, go with a set of BareKnuckle Pickups. EXAMPLE
    =PLF8B4072AE2B076BF That is a ****ing single coil on a TELECASTER. They are passive. Just a recommendation :]
    MESAexplorer
    Colter wrote: The only thing you need to worry about when buying a j custom is if you like the looks and if you wana play metal you might want emgs or blackouts....other then that these things are ****ing insaaaane
    K!d_MeTaL
    Man, if i could get my little nasty greasy fingers on that I would be pretty happy
    ProgJazzMath
    Not a fan of the burst/flower inlay combo. I think the inlay would go better with a plain color somewhere around a white tone, definitely not sunburst! Beautiful guitar either way and I'm sure it plays like a dream.
    Colter
    sewoo55
    Grimpond wrote: Only in 'ultimate' guitar's review section will you find someone complaining about a J custom. ^ and it is a very limited production guitar
    hmm.... i wasn't complaining about it, i was just asking whether its a custom shop guitar or production line guitar. so you say its on limited production? thank you
    FUglySchtick
    I've been tempting the thought of a Ibanez J Custom RG8420ZD it's the H/H with Duncan's in it. I find the visual appearance of the guitar to be about a 15 on a scale of 1-to-10; just plainly and simply stunning. The tones I've heard people getting on YouTube are pretty righteous some guys are using AxeFX and others are using 6105+'s and EVH's; personally I'd love to see what the RG8420ZD could do through a DSL40C or a JCM800. Question being; how's the neck in terms of relative thickness? I got my mitts on a RG1570 Prestige a few years back and the neck was so thin my hand actually cramped up on me. I couldn't help thinking that maybe just a millimeter or two could've made all the difference in the world.
    sewoo55
    Grimpond wrote: Wasnt refering to you old chap.
    ok now that's a tad bit offensive but i'm just gonna ignore you ok?