JEM-JR Steve Vai Signature review by Ibanez

Ibanez: JEM-JR Steve Vai Signature

Purchased from: audiomusic

I play hard rock and 80s metal its a really great guitar for those styles. I use with a DigiTech RP 50 and hot head. And a beringher wah trought a Kustom amp and sounds AWESOME. I use it with the setting of humbucker split with the single coil because with that setting I can get a lot of pinch armonics because with the neck or Bridge pickups I must use the tone knob for get the pinch armonicos. And the sound with humbuckers its to mudy. With the single coil its a little noisy but it because its a single coil. The guitar is really versatile but add a little gain to the clean sonds and don't like that very much but using the tone knob sounds great, like a Fender Strat.

Its exellent for what I play (vai, glam rock etc) the tremolo stay in tune so I don't worry about that. I have been playing for 4 years and its my second guitar and I love it. If it were stolen I don't buy the same guitar I would buy a jem 7vwh only becuase is my dream. I love the fact that its a jem. And the configuartions of the pickups I don't like to much the tremolo. I compare with al the Ibanez rg line (non prestiges ones) and with some ESP and Jackson guitars I BUY THIS BECAUSE ITS A JEM AND I LOVE IT EVEN WITHOUT THE DiMarzio PICKUPS.

Ill never play live with this guitar but I would bring a backup if I break a string only if that happen. I think that the tremolo doesn't survive too much time. It looks so delicate. The strap buttons are like solid rock the guitar never fell down. I think that the guitar it self would resist the years and the life of a normal guitar.

The set up was fine but the action is a not too low like I wish I would like it was more low for play faster but is ok. The pickups was a little high and get some noise so I put it a little down.the guitar was new nothing wrong with it. The guitar is white so I think that maybe in the future the guitar start to get from another color like yellow (that happen with all the white things)

It was made in indonesia on 2010. It has a 3pc wizard maple neck with 24 jumbo frets. The body is basswood and the neck maple. The finish is WHITE everyting the pickguard, pickups, the guitar itself. The body style its a superstrat with the monkey grip and lion claw(cavity of the tremolo) the Bridge is a floating Bridge or tremolo is the edge 3 by Ibanez (better than licensed floyd rose) normal electronic one volumen knob and one tone knob. Has a five way selector. The pickups are H-S-H the pickups: inf 1 - inf1(single) - inf 2. It its a locking tremolo with locking nuts, the brand is Ibanez I think. Includes the alan keys a gig bag and strap :)

Metalfan41
    Played one of these once. Then I played a 777. Blows this thing out of the water for a joke.
    lord_yggdrasill
    rv_phoenix
    lord_yggdrasill wrote: What's everyone expecting? It's a budget guitar, you shouldn't compare it to really nice guitars. Compare it to budget guitars. Also, I'd say it is a JEM. Since the model name has to do with the body shape and being affiliated with Steve Vai, and not really the cost or quality. Just my $.02 I agree with Virion_84 though: if you don't sound like Steve Vai, it's because you're not.
    You're absolutely right. But, if we compare it with Fender's budget Squiers... it's incomparable in all respects. Ibanez's factory pickups tend to be inferior to Fender's. Squiers (the only sort-of-a-Fender you can get for less than 600 USD), unfortunately, are not provided with Fender pickups, but with some cheap Chinese versions of them. And pickups are the only relatively low point of this JEM (if I add the baswood too, you will all say I'm nasty), compared to a low-end Fender. All the rest - the shape, the tremolo, the nut, the finish, the factory setup - is light-years away from everything Squier delivers. I must stress that I don't own this guitar, nor am I an Ibanez fan. We need to remain objective, though: I've checked this guitar out in my favorite music shop and I was delighted by its unassuming reliability and versatility. I disliked the neck pickup, but that's because I dislike humbuckers in this position on Strat-type bodies with bolt-on necks. Otherwise, I would characterize this JEM JR as a fair guitar.
    phats1231
    have had this guitar for nearly a year now and i can say its a great guitar...seen the duplicate jem and believe me you would recognize it from a mile away....this guitar is as good as any other ibanez...mine is indonesian...the bridge is awesome though i still dont trust it fully only coz its my first floating bridge..havent used it live yet but wont hesitate to.....holds the tune perfectly so nuts are great....would love demarzios but this one actually gives off Vai's sounds pretty well...definitely will keep it for many years to come...cant compare it with other jems coz i havent played any ....but i fell in love with it in first sight....i got only two words for those who say only japanese ibanez is real....shut up!!!