JEM555 Steve Vai Signature review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 1.8 Junky
Ibanez: JEM555 Steve Vai Signature

This guitar is okay. It's good for some types of music, I'd would say it's best for hair metal. It's okay for me, I play more punk-ish stuff. I have a Marshall MG15CD (sucks + 1)and a Boss ME-50. This guitar sounds good but lacks sustain. As I said this is good for metal-ish stuff. It's not really good for anything ealse because the pickups produce more output than other pickups and it can be pretty rough at times.

Well I have to tell you, I got screwed on this deal. If you are a metal fan then this might be okay (might be at best). anything else this thing lacks big time. Just take my advice and don't use the trem too much b/c it's gonna go out of tune. It's not worth the time to get the thing setup correctly because it will let you down. My advice would be to get a RG1570 or above or a American Stratocaster and just mod the pickups to evolutions. Been playing for 4 years now and I own two other guitars, and effects board and a crappy amp. If this was lost I'd probobly just say "see ya" and buy a RG or another Strat. the only thing I like (like, not love) about it is the pickups. I got this one for what I thought was a good price but the more I learned about guitars the more I regretted buying this.

I wouldn't depend on this thing that much, maybe for studio or home use but live, that's a bad idea.

I set up that action myself and I'll tell you its not worth the time. The pickups are the best part about the guitar.. everything ealse was medicore. The bridge is horrable plain and simple. The pivot studs where so loose that they could be taken out by hand so I had my luithier re-drill the holes and glue in new studs. The bridge's knife eadges where worn out so I had the file them back to get a eadge. The fretwire on the 23 fret was raised so I had to lower it. The bridge and hardware was oxidized but I took care of some of that with a toothbrush and rubbing alchohol. After putting about $200 into this guitar it still doesn't stay in tune well so I am going to block the trem.